cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II freezes with Tamron lens

Ghillie1
Apprentice

Afternoon all 

I just wanted to make sure I am on the right path here with my issues I am having with my new R6 (less than a week old) I couldn't afford "the full package" so to save a few pounds I bought the R6 mkii "body only" I have 3 EF lenses so bought an adaptor as was led to believe these would be compatible with the R6. 

The 18-55mm and the 75-300mm work fine, the issue I have is with my Tamron 150-600mm focusing is slow and when I go to take an image the camera freezes, I think its waiting for data from the lens to be written. 

the only way to reset it is by removing the battery.

Its been suggested that the Tamron needs an update on its Firmware to be compatible so have ordered a tap in console. I am on the right path here or should I be looking at something else as well. 

Many thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I will assume that you purchased your camera from a factory authorized dealer.  This is crucial.

What brand of EF-RF mount adapter are you using?  Canon forced third party manufacturers to pull their mount adapters off store shelves because they were causing a host camera issues, including lockups.

If your camera dealer sold you a third party mount adapter, then I would question their reputation.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Third party EF to RF adapters are still available, Canon can't force anyone to pull those off the shelf.  What they did force out of the market were some lenses that were infringing upon Canon patents.

There are plenty of lockup problems with these bodies that don't require a third party adapter or lens.  I was in a sea of Sony at the last basketball game I shot and two of the shooter's organizations made the switch because of reliability issues with their R3 bodies.  Hopefully that is all resolved before the R1 finally makes it to market and Canon doesn't further do harm to themselves in that part of the market.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

As I recall, the third party mount adapters were pulled from store shelves for the same reasons as third party lenses.  Many of the mount adapters were causing batteries to drain within several hours or overnight.

As far as cameras locking up goes, every shooting scenario is different.  One apparent common denominator has been wireless communications.  People have GPS enabled in environments where GPS signal quality is poor.  They have wireless communications enabled, particularly Bluetooth, when they are not actually using wireless communication.

There have been several posts about cameras locking up.  When you ask about GPS and wireless the OP will stop responding more times than not.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Agree and hope you are using a Canon brand adapter.  There are 2 versions of the SP150-600.  v1 and G2.

If you have the G2, it has a compatibility update available for the EF to EOS R adapter.

Enable general operations on Canon EOS R with Mount Adapter EF-EOS R by the firmware updating.
[NOTE] Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R is required to attach the lens to Canon EOS R.

Updated Serial Number: 040336 or later
December 20, 2018

If your lens is a v1, performance might be hit or miss, and if you aren't using a Canon adapter, I'd give it a 30% chance of working correctly.  The G2 with Canon Adapter has a much better chance after the update, but it doesn't mean 100% compatible and you may not be fully satisfied.  The Tap In is $59 bucks.  It won't hurt to try and if it doesn't work out it can be sold with the lens.  An RF 200-800 would solve this for you and might be something to plan for in the future.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements