cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Mark II Red Color Pattern on Images of Clothes

solankir2
Apprentice

Hi, I am Trying to Take pictures of Clothes on flat Lay,

While I take the focus clearer on the cloth texture I get these red pattern patches on the image, I tried all white balance etc, with more light or less light but can't find a solution to it, Can anyone help me with this, I get this pattern only when the focus is sharp clear, and also when the camera is strait up .PLease Help.Thank you very much

REdPatern_images.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I think that what you are seeing is a moiré pattern of interference, caused by the size of the image of the weave creating an interference pattern with the sensor. This is normally avoided with the use of an Anti-aliasing (aka Low Pass Filter) that slightly degrades the image sharpness; however, I have been told that modern mirrorless sensors do not have an AA filter, although I don't  know that for certain.   You might try varying your distance from the material to see if that helps to dissolve it by reducing the pattern size.  

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I think that what you are seeing is a moiré pattern of interference, caused by the size of the image of the weave creating an interference pattern with the sensor. This is normally avoided with the use of an Anti-aliasing (aka Low Pass Filter) that slightly degrades the image sharpness; however, I have been told that modern mirrorless sensors do not have an AA filter, although I don't  know that for certain.   You might try varying your distance from the material to see if that helps to dissolve it by reducing the pattern size.  

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

@Tronhard wrote:

however, I have been told that modern mirrorless sensors do not have an AA filter, although I don't  know that for certain. 

I always buy books on the cameras I own and the one I have on the R5 and R6 (David Busch) says that they have two low-pass filters that sandwich a wave plate and IR filter. The way he explains it is: The first LPF splits the beam of light horizontally which passes through the wave plat and IR filter, then LPF two splits the beams of light vertically. What was a single beam of light hits the sensor as four producing a slight blurring effect, then "the Diffraction Correction feature analyzes the image and counteracts excessive blurring, performing some sharpening".

In the book, he has a really good diagram and explanation, but I don't want to copy his work here.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I admire your diligence Newton.  Normally, this is not an issue that comes within my purview, so I am glad you have done the technical leg work.  To be more technical about it, I was led to understand that with some MILC sensors the LP filter was, to at least a degree or fully, cancelled out by other filters, so what you say makes sense.  That said, it still looks like a moiré interference pattern to me, as per this example.

Tronhard_0-1698043403572.png
This phenomenon is exactly why presenters on TV or video use plain coloured shirts without tiny stripes, dots or patterns

cheers, TREVOR

Thank You Very Much Tronhard. letting me name of the issue also solved a lot of it ,

I tried a higher Shutter Speed and some adjustments in the lights solved most of it ,,The remaining ones i was easily able to remove in photoshop camera raw Morie Reduction too ,,

It worked ,,Thanks a lot for the time and help

Peter
Authority
Authority

As already mentioned it seems to be moiré. My R6 gives men moiré easier than my 6D, but I also get better sharpness with R6.

A workaround is to change distance between camera and the clothes. A few cm may be enough. If you have a zoom lens you can just zoom in or out a little bit.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

solankir2, Trevor is correct and what you are seeing is moiré caused by the repeated pattern of the thread weaving in the shirt. I've never seen this in any of my images so I can't tell you how to get rid of or avoid it. Maybe slightly adjust your angle to the subject? I have encountered it as a graphic artist and most raster image editors have a feature to adjust it out, but you risk loosing sharpness.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

In my own limited experience with moiré, I found that changing the focal length or distance to subject is usually enough to resolve it, but it will on a case by case basis as the weaving patterns may vary between fabrics.  Thanks Peter for your input and confirmation!

cheers, TREVOR

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Good morning ,

I think DPP has a anti morie setting.  I would do as the guys suggest and very the angle and distance from the material. Try different lighting and also ensure you do not have peripheral illumination enabled in camera.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank You Shadowsports

I tried a higher Shutter Speed and some adjustments in the lights solved most of it ,,The remaining ones i was easily able to remove in photoshop camera raw Morie Reduction too ,,

It worked,,Thanks a lot for the time and help

Announcements