cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R6 Firmware update needed

Kimbalu1
Apprentice

Hello,

I'm new to the group and hoping someone can help me.

I have the Canon R6, I want to update the firmware.

There is no option for Mac OS Ventura 13.1.

This is a fairly new laptop and OS. 

How do I update the firmware?

I appreciate the help.

Thank you!

Kim

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When I go to the follow Canon Support for EOS R6 page, I do see the option to download firmware after selecting macOS 13.  Version 1.7.0 as of this writing.

Do you have an SD card slot on your Mac?  If so, that's typically what I do (i.e. transfer the firmware file onto an SD card to then put into the camera for the update process).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Peter
Authority
Authority

Easiest may be to just use the app Canon Connect and update the firmware via your phone.

Screenshot_20230126-055802.jpg

Screenshot_20230126-055809.jpg

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

When I go to the follow Canon Support for EOS R6 page, I do see the option to download firmware after selecting macOS 13.  Version 1.7.0 as of this writing.

Do you have an SD card slot on your Mac?  If so, that's typically what I do (i.e. transfer the firmware file onto an SD card to then put into the camera for the update process).

--
Ricky

Thank you Ricky for the reply.

I do have a SD adapter for my MAC, when downloading the firmware it saves to my MAC then i'm unable to open and send to card.

Is there a way to go directly to the card?

I appreciate your help.

Canon typically provides firmware for macOS computers delivered as DMG files (Disk iMaGe).    Thus, you wouldn't be able to download that file directly to the SD card.   Instead, you'd need to copy the contents inside that DMG to the SD card.

Details...

In Finder, select Settings or Preferences and in the General Finder Settings panel, be sure that "Hard disks" and "External disks" are checked:

Finder SettingsFinder Settings

After you download the DMG file, locate it (by default, should be in the Downloads folder on your Mac), and double-click it.  This will open up that file (will show up on your desktop) so you can see its contents.

The contents should include the firmware file itself along with instructions on what exactly you'll need to do.  Typically this involves copying the firmware file (usually ends with .FIR or .BIN) to the top-level of your SD card (i.e. not copied to any folders that may exist on the SD card).

--
Ricky

Thank you fore the detailed instructions they are very helpful. Once I download the firmware for some reason it trys to save to photos and is not supported there. Ive deleted and retied and defaults photos.

Peter
Authority
Authority

Easiest may be to just use the app Canon Connect and update the firmware via your phone.

Screenshot_20230126-055802.jpg

Screenshot_20230126-055809.jpg

Thank you! I have downloaded the app. It wont work for the firmware, will come in handy for photo transfers. 

Announcements