cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 write to SDXC speed

mdougc
Enthusiast

What is the EOS R5 write speed capability to SDXC card?

I shoot a lot of 20-30 frame bursts when photographing birds-in-flight. And the delay between bursts can be annoying. Will I improve buffer to card delay time if I upgrade to v90 SDXC, which has advertised write speed of 260 MB/sec?

I realize I can use the VF card, but I reserve that for video.

Thank you for any help.

mDougC
Wildlife photographer - EOS R, R5 many lenses, LR Classic, Topaz, necessary gadgets
3 REPLIES 3

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

IMPORTANT: A V90 card will not guarantee anywhere near 260 MBps write speeds.  V90 means sustained 90 MBps speeds.   The 260 MBps value (probably the most prominent number on the card is the theoretical maximum read speed).

Are you capturing RAW, JPEG or RAW+JPEG to the same SD card?  That will make a huge difference as well.  e.g. lets say you're capturing RAW and each image is averaging 50 MB.   20 images would then be a total of 1,000 MB which would take a bit over 11 seconds to write out to a V90 card.

Whereas a CFExpress Type B card (the other card type you can use in an R5) has write speeds up to 1,500 MBps.  IMPORTANT: these are theoretical maximum writes.  You'd have to look into what the sustained writes of the cards would be.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

If you're shooting RAW images, which can be about 50 MB, and in bursts, that's 50 MB * 20 FPS is about 1,000 MB/s.  That's WAY more than any video mode on the camera, even 8k RAW.  So if burst shooting is a big thing for you, I would certainly be using CF cards.

Bradtke35
Apprentice

@ToysRUSCreditCard wrote:

What is the EOS R5 write speed capability to SDXC card?

I shoot a lot of 20-30 frame bursts when photographing birds-in-flight. And the delay between bursts can be annoying. Will I improve buffer to card delay time if I upgrade to v90 SDXC, which has advertised write speed of 260 MB/sec?

I realize I can use the VF card, but I reserve that for video.

Thank you for any help.

The SD card slot on the Canon R5 supports UHS-II SD cards. These have a max read and write speed of 300 MB/s which make them perfect for casual shooting or even moderate video users

Announcements