cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Use of Interval Timer for photographing a Solar Eclipse

lwatawala
Contributor

I’m hoping to use the camera “Interval Timer” to capture the eclipse so as to free myself from having to dabble with the camera during the eclipse (specially during about 4 minutes of Total we are expected to have). My plan is to set the focal length to a value such that the sun will only occupy a sufficiently small area of the frame and that the sun will continue to stay within the frame as it moves in the sky (during 4 minutes of Total Eclipse). I'm hoping to crop the images later to get good details of the sun features.

This is what I’m hoping to do:

1. Set the Camera as:
        Mode:  Manual
        Shutter Speed: As needed
        Aperture:  As needed
        ISO : Auto

2.  Set the AF Method to

Focus Method: (Face) +  tracking
         Eye Detection:  Enable
         Subject to detect:  None

3. Get initial focus on the sun by tapping the screen on the sun (with a Solar Filter as needed)

4. Enable “Interval Timer” at 10 second intervals

5. “Face Tracking” will follow the Sun as it moves in the sky.

6. In testing I see that as each interval timer shot is taken, it appears that metering is triggered, and as a result an appropriate ISO value gets selected (since I'm in auto ISO). This is what I want.

7. My question is, as each interval timer shot is taken, does the camera also trigger an “AF”
    to re-focus? In this usage, my desire is for AF to NOT re-focus as each interval timer shot is
    taken and potentially mess up the focus. I want to keep the Focus Distance constant at
    the “initial value I set by me tapping on the screen”.

I'm using an R5 camera with an RF 100-500 lens

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Quite honestly, at this late date, and given your apparent level of knowledge, I would suggest that you forget about shooting the sun.  This is a rare and special event, and you don't want to ruin it by fiddling with filters and stuff.  Just sit back and soak in the atmosphere.  If you do want a record, set up your camera on a tripod with a wide lens and just shoot video of the whole general atmosphere around you.

Next time there's an eclipse coming, start preparing at least 6 months in advance.  Set up your rig, and practice with it, many times, until you get good at it.  You will almost certainly want some speciaised software to run your camera; an interval timer and auto-ISO isn't going to be great.  Then you'll be ready.  Nico Carver on YouTube has some excellent videos about this.

In terme of your specific ideas -- why on earth woud you use AF??  That's crazy.  The sun isn't moving closer or farther away.  Use MF, set it once, and forget it.

And as for exposure, I think you'll find this EXTREMELY difficult.  Even in totality, the exposure you need depends on exactly which parts of the Sun's corona etc. you plan to shoot.  Using automation software to run through multiple exposures seems like the best way.  Again, Nico Carver has info on this.

But bottom line, if you didn't get this set up months ago, it's too late.  For example the automation software I mentioned can't even be downloaded this close to an eclipse.  So like I said, sit back and enjoy it; there will be plenty of photos online afterwards.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

Quite honestly, at this late date, and given your apparent level of knowledge, I would suggest that you forget about shooting the sun.  This is a rare and special event, and you don't want to ruin it by fiddling with filters and stuff.  Just sit back and soak in the atmosphere.  If you do want a record, set up your camera on a tripod with a wide lens and just shoot video of the whole general atmosphere around you.

Next time there's an eclipse coming, start preparing at least 6 months in advance.  Set up your rig, and practice with it, many times, until you get good at it.  You will almost certainly want some speciaised software to run your camera; an interval timer and auto-ISO isn't going to be great.  Then you'll be ready.  Nico Carver on YouTube has some excellent videos about this.

In terme of your specific ideas -- why on earth woud you use AF??  That's crazy.  The sun isn't moving closer or farther away.  Use MF, set it once, and forget it.

And as for exposure, I think you'll find this EXTREMELY difficult.  Even in totality, the exposure you need depends on exactly which parts of the Sun's corona etc. you plan to shoot.  Using automation software to run through multiple exposures seems like the best way.  Again, Nico Carver has info on this.

But bottom line, if you didn't get this set up months ago, it's too late.  For example the automation software I mentioned can't even be downloaded this close to an eclipse.  So like I said, sit back and enjoy it; there will be plenty of photos online afterwards.

Thank you. My original plan was to do pretty much what you are suggesting. Camera mounted on a tripod, focus manually once and keep it there throughout, camera in Manual mode with Auto ISO, and take some shots using a wireless remote control while keeping the sun well within the frame. I’m going to take some photos as a record of what we  might witness on the 8th. Then I  got carried away thinking of naively automating the shots. With your advice, I’m now back to my original plan.

I’m just an amateur wildlife photographer, but have been able to take some good photos with this amazing R5.

Thank you again for your input.

Excellent.  Get some great pics, but really, don't forget to enjoy the spectacle itself.

Bottom line, it’s never too late Atticus.

Yes, that's a very nice sentiment and everything, but I really disagree here.  You aren't going to get many chances to see a total solar eclipse in your lifetime, and if you try to dive into photographing the eclipse at the last minute, there's a very real chance that you'll spend the whole 4 minutes fiddling with gear, and only realise too late that you've sacrificed your experience of the event for a few badly-exposed photos.

Plus, go back and read my comments about software.  I think it would be very hard to get good pics without automation software, but diving into using something that complex at the last minute is a recipe for disaster.  Go and look (right now, April 7 2024) at the CaptureEclipse website, where they're begging you not to se their software if you aren't already up to speed with it.

It's totally up to you, of course, and if you want to try it, then go right ahead.

Hey, who knows, it may be cloudy anyway.

Baittackle
Apprentice

I couldn't disagree more with old "if you didn't start six months ago you're too late." Learn by trying. Sounds like your plans a good one. Set and forget. Probably fail but you'll get something to learn from and it cost you little effort and no money. 

Only use autofocus to pull focus then switch it off. But then again... Why not see what it does with autofocus as you plan? It might work fine. Can't know til you give it a shot. 

Announcements