cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 Changing Exposure Compensation in mode FV

albasdad
Contributor

It seems that on R5, when MODE=FV, one can change Exposure Compensation ONLY when ISO=AUTO.

What is more strange, in MODE=FV one can change Exposure Compensation via M-Fn but then this change is not reflected on FV display and Exposure Compensation stays at zero.

Now, even more bizarre, going to Exposure Compensation via MENU I-2, it is not possible to change Exposure Compensation and only change Exposure Bracketing.

Thanks for clarification, if any…

Best regards

André Erlich

8 REPLIES 8

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Exposure Compensation is only possible when the camera is controlling at least one leg of the Exposure Triangle.  For example, when you are in M mode, then the user is manually setting Tv, Av, and ISO.  The camera is not controlling any leg of the Exposure Triangle.  If you now switch ISO to Auto, now the camera is able to set Exposure Compensation for you by adjusting ISO.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks a lot, it makes sense...

However it still does not explain why it is possible (in FV) with ISO not in AUTO to change the exposure Compensation via M-Fn

thanks and regards

Andre

@albasdad wrote:

Thanks a lot, it makes sense...

However it still does not explain why it is possible (in FV) with ISO not in AUTO to change the exposure Compensation via M-Fn

thanks and regards

Andre

Sure it does.  Perhaps you need to explain exactly what configuration you are using for Fv mode.  Like I said above, if any leg of the Exposure Triangle is being automatically controlled and set by the camera, then Exposure Compensation if possible.

Shutter Speed: set

Apperture: Set

ISO: Set

Exposure Compensation - Unchangeable

Now, if you get to Exposure Compensation via MENU, you cannot change it (consistent) but if your get to Exposure Comensation via M-Fn, you can change it (inconsistent) but this change is not reflected on Exposure Compensation on FV screen where EC is still at 0

rgs

andre

@albasdad wrote:

Shutter Speed: set

Apperture: Set

ISO: Set

Exposure Compensation - Unchangeable

Now, if you get to Exposure Compensation via MENU, you cannot change it (consistent) but if your get to Exposure Comensation via M-Fn, you can change it (inconsistent) but this change is not reflected on Exposure Compensation on FV screen where EC is still at 0

rgs

andre

The above bold text sounds like a firmware bug.  You should not be able to enter any compensation setting.  Which version of camera firmware do you have?

Can someone with an R5 confirm this behavior?  Thanks.

When you have all three legs of the Exposure Triangle ( Tv, Av, ISO ) configured for [SET] then you are using a configuration that is equivalent to using M shooting mode.  As I described above, exposure compensation is not available because the camera is not controlling any legs of the Exposure Triangle.  Exposure is completely under the control of the user.

My friend verified it on his R5 and he has the same behaviour...

a bug ???

regards

andre

I had an engineer take a look at this to see if it was a firmware bug. He is wondering if you might be confusing Exposure Compensation with Flash Exposure Compensation? He's also using the firmware that was released today - v.1.81.

This page outlines how Fv mode works: Canon Knowledge Base - Canon : Product Manual : EOS R5 : Fv: Flexible-Priority AE

Thanks ...I certainly do not confuse EC with FEC !. I am still on 1.7.0 - will wait a little bit before upgrading to 1.8.1.

I can capture LCD to illustrate the problem, if you wish...

best regards

Andre

Announcements