cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 C Not Recording to SD Card Even Though REC is Indicated

madwiser
Apprentice

No CFExpress card in the camera, just a fast SD card. Recording MP4 10-bit. The red outline shows around the LCD screen when recording. Says "REC" at the top of the screen. BUT nothing records. No files. Put in a CFExpress card. Same thing except it records to the CFExpress card. Hmmm. Take out the CFExpress to repeat the process. This time I notice the tally light on top of the camera stays green during REC. Red box around the LCD, displays REC at the top of the LCD, tally light on top of camera is green - no recording. With CFExpress everything is the same except the tally light on top of the camera is red. I shot for a couple hours. All indications showed it was recording. Didn't record a single file. Firmware 1.0.6.1 

8 REPLIES 8

Ron

Thanks for joining the conversation!

So that the Community can help you better, can you list the exact model camera you are using?. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

EOS R5C

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Note that it will greatly depend upon what codec you're using in terms of if the SD card could even handle it.  There's a reason for the CFexpress slot; that allows for much greater write speeds.  An SD card will max out at 90 MB/s sustained writes (V90).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I understand that. It will error out if the card is too slow. There was no error. I shot for a couple hours. The red outline tally remained lit as did the REC indicator.

What specific codec are you using though?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Please identify the card(s) you are shooting with as well.  Brand, model, type, speed, etc.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

madwiser,

This is just a thought, but do you know if you have Clean HDMI output enabled.

I have a T8i, and the manual says that if you have Clean HDMI output enabled, movies are not saved to the card.

When you set the mode to the recording mode, It's in the first menu, #4, under HDMI Info disp. My manual is says that if either Clean 4K or Clean HD are enabled, movies are not saved to the card.

Steve Thomas

AtticusLake
Mentor
Mentor

I tried reproducing this with my R5C, but couldn't.

• With no CF card, but a fast (V90) SD card, it worked fine, and recorded as I would expect, at least in MP4.
  • With a crappy old slow (C10) SD card, it told me the card was incompatible with the shooting mode.  It still worked, and seemed to record fine, at lower frame rates.  At higher frame rates, it wouldn't record, and the tally light flashed red.

So I dunno.  Maybe you have a card that's right on the edge?  Or maybe you have a card which isn't communicating errors to the camera properly?  So mabe try a different brand of SD card, and make sure it's V90.

Announcements