cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R5 8-bit video settings for 4:2:0

ricalls
Contributor

i am about to rent the canon EOS r5 to shoot video. I intend to shoot raw for future use by more qualified people and also shooting in MP4 for immediate editing and use on websites. I would like to use my macbook pro with ventura OS, 2.3 ghz dual core intel core i5 processor to run imovie 10.4 to edit. Research shows that i should shoot in 8 bit to achieve 4:2:0 which runs better on imovie than 4:2:2 10 bit. I understand resolution, frame rates and cocmpression settings and i would like to use 8ku, 24fps, ALL-I, canon log off onto the SD card. I cant find where i can make sure i am using the 8 bit ability vs 10 bit. if i  use my preferred settings will that result in 8 bit 4:2:0 or is there an additional setting?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Sorry, I missed the "off" in your original question regarding C-Log.

To capture in 8-bit 4:2:0 in Rec.709, turn off C.LOG (if you haven't already).  See page 330 in the User Manual.  And set the Color space to BT.709 (page 332). 

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

View solution in original post

Page 330 is just listing the available color spaces you can choose when either of the C.LOG settings have been enabled.  BT.709 is an option with C.LOG off.

BT.709 is also called out in two sections of Notes (pages 347 and 381)

"YCbCr 4:2:0 (8-bit) color sampling and the BT.709 color space are used for 8K/4K/Full HD time-lapse movies."

and

"YCbCr 4:2:0 (8-bit) color sampling and the BT.709 color space are used for 8K (except RAW), 4K, and Full HD movies."

respectively.

--
Ricky

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

If you plan on capturing in C-Log, that implies you want to do post-production (color correction, grading, etc.).  For that, do capture in 10-bit 4:2:2.  8-bit 4:2:0 is a good delivery format, but not good for editing.  So if you do want to capture video and want to skip post-production, then capturing 8-bit 4:2:0 in say a Rec.709 color space would be a good option.

--
Ricky

I agree and understand what you say, I do not want to use c-log. the big question is how do i set for capturing 8-bit 4:2:0 in say a Rec.709 color space?

Sorry, I missed the "off" in your original question regarding C-Log.

To capture in 8-bit 4:2:0 in Rec.709, turn off C.LOG (if you haven't already).  See page 330 in the User Manual.  And set the Color space to BT.709 (page 332). 

--
Ricky

sounds good to me. However the manual reads as if the color space setting applies to having C-LOG on. manual page 330.

Page 330 is just listing the available color spaces you can choose when either of the C.LOG settings have been enabled.  BT.709 is an option with C.LOG off.

BT.709 is also called out in two sections of Notes (pages 347 and 381)

"YCbCr 4:2:0 (8-bit) color sampling and the BT.709 color space are used for 8K/4K/Full HD time-lapse movies."

and

"YCbCr 4:2:0 (8-bit) color sampling and the BT.709 color space are used for 8K (except RAW), 4K, and Full HD movies."

respectively.

--
Ricky

well it dosent get any more clear than that. Thank you very much!

Announcements