cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R3 How do I update my firmware?

Calamawy
Apprentice

Just purchased the R3 and realized that there is a new firmware. It its ver. 1.2.1 the current one is ver. 1.1.1

How do I update my firmware?

I am a Mac user MacOS Monterey ver. 12.6. I already downloaded it from the Canon website. But when I copy the file to the memory card and go to tools page 6 on my R3 camera nothing happens?

Any ideas?

9 REPLIES 9

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

What file are you copying, and are you copying to the root folder (i.e. you should see the DCIM folder and the .fir file)

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi and welcome to the forum:

To install the firmware on your camera, you will download a compressed file.  You must open that up within you Mac, and this will give you a .FIR file.  Once you have that, copy it to a formatted camera memory card. 

To do the install, make sure the camera is fully charged, install the card in the camera.  Under the wrench group in the menu, locate the firmware option and select that. It should be pretty obvious what to do from there on, so follow the instructions.  You should actually have seen a set of instructions on this on the Canon Firmware download page, so check there for further clarification.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I have a similar problem as above.  When I go to the R3 filmware and review the download versions for the MAC I do not find MAC OS Monterey V12.6 even listed.  So the question would be where can I get the download for Monterey V12.6?? Thanks  SBLANKSSR

The firmware is for the camera, not the operating system so much.  I suggest trying to download the file, expand it to produce the .FIR file.  Copy that to a SD card and load that onto the camera.  In the menu system, under wrench set, find firmware.  Select that and it will find the FIR file you then accept to update it and away you go.

Make sure that you have a fully-charged battery, and I recommend don't use a micro-SD card.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Sound good I’ll give it a try in the morning and let you know what happens.  Thanks very much for your quick reply.

Good morning.  Just wanted you to know that all updates for the R3 and R5 are completed as you recommended.  Thanks so much for your help.

Good to know.
If you can please mark which post has the most correct answer as a solution, others with this issue may find the answer without having to post themselves. 

cheers, TREVOR

SBLANKSSR
Apprentice

I have a similar problem as above.  When I go to the R3 filmware and review the download versions for the MAC I do not find MAC OS Monterey V12.6 even listed.  So the question would be where can I get the download for Monterey V12.6?? Thanks

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@Sblankssr,

Unlike device drivers which can be OS specific, firmware applies to the hardware (in this case the R3 body).  The firmware file doe not change based on the operating system of your computer.  The firmware is updating the camera.

The firmware download comes packaged or compressed in 2 formats.  .dmg for MAC, or .zip for Windows.

The download must be extracted or unzipped. efore it can be used.  Canon camera firmware is proprietary.  The file type is .fir     The .fir file is the one needed for upgrade. The one you will put in the root directory of your memory card.

1.2.1 Firmware Downloads:

MAC

Windows

Instructions are included with both downlads.  They are in .pdf Acrobat format. Please ensure you are comfortable with the proces before proceeding.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Announcements