cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R10 firmware update won't install

lbstahr
Contributor

Firmware update 1.4 fails to install on my R10.  It stops at Step 3/4 with the not-so-helpful message "Failed to transfer the firmware."  Any suggestions?  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@lbstahr wrote:

I guess I need to get an SD card reader--are these specific to the Kingston 64kb card I'm using or is there just a generic SD card reader?

Any brand SD card reader will work, but I would recommend one from a reputable manufacturer like Kingston, SanDisk, Lexar, Anker, etc. A company that has been around for a while. Also make sure that the one you get has the correct USB connection for your computer, like USB type A or C. You don't have to get the most expensive, but you definitely don't want to go cheap. It could mean data loss or damage to your card.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

How did you attempt to install the firmware? By placing the firmware file onto an SD card and inserting that into the camera? Or, by connecting the camera to a computer?

Did you follow the instructions exactly? (e.g. placing the firmware file at the correct location on the SD card).

If using a computer, please provide what specific computer and its operating system that you're using.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

lbstahr
Contributor

Hi Ricky, thank you for replying.  I'm using the Canon app on my iPhone 13 (iOS 17.2.1).  

Hi and welcome to the forum:

This may seem a bit 'old school' but it recommended as the most reliable way to do firmware upgrades, especially give that Canon software and Apple have a chequered history together.

If you have a computer, download the file as indicated in the instructions - there are some for Apple systems. If you have an SD card reader, either attached or able to connect via cable, then expand and download the .FIR file to your card.  Transfer the card to the camera and go to the wrench menu, and on the correct page (not sure off hand) you will find the option to upgrade the firmware.  Make sure the battery is well charged before attempting this!

That should do the trick.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thank you for your response.  I've not been using my laptop to upgrade since it doesn't have a port for an SD card.  I guess I need to get an SD card reader--are these specific to the Kingston 64kb card I'm using or is there just a generic SD card reader?  (Sorry, I'm a neophyte!)

Oops, Kingston 64GB, not kb (SDR2/64GB)

@lbstahr wrote:

I guess I need to get an SD card reader--are these specific to the Kingston 64kb card I'm using or is there just a generic SD card reader?

Any brand SD card reader will work, but I would recommend one from a reputable manufacturer like Kingston, SanDisk, Lexar, Anker, etc. A company that has been around for a while. Also make sure that the one you get has the correct USB connection for your computer, like USB type A or C. You don't have to get the most expensive, but you definitely don't want to go cheap. It could mean data loss or damage to your card.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I talked to the folks at B&H, where I bought my camera, and they gave me 3 good recommendations.  I'll try to follow Trevor's directions once I get the card reader.  

I got a card reader from B&H (one they said would be appropriate) but I still can't upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4.  Here's the error message:  

F04384E1-F43B-415A-95B3-D5119969EE05_1_105_c.jpeg

@lbstahr wrote:

I got a card reader from B&H (one they said would be appropriate) but I still can't upgrade from 1.3 to 1.4.  Here's the error message:  

F04384E1-F43B-415A-95B3-D5119969EE05_1_105_c.jpeg

Sorry you are having this issue. There must something else going on or some simple step you are overlooking because this should be a very simple process... Extract the R1014000.FIR file from its container, put that file in the root of your SD card (just drag it to the card, not in a folder on the card), go to the FIRMWARE menu of the R10 and start. The only other things I can think of is you have the wrong FIR file (for wrong camera), I've seen this happen when helping others, or if you have an older version along with your new one on the same card, if so delete it. If any of this doesn't work, you may need to contact Canon Support.

Newton

Announcements