cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS R CR3 files lose resolution on phone, altered when downloading to laptop

Steve314
Apprentice

When using the Canon app to download raw images from the EOS R my phone, there is significant loss of resolution.  Also, when transferring directly from the flash card to laptop, Windows alters the cr3 image before I can convert it to a tiff.  Is there a better way to convert cr3?

4 REPLIES 4

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Check the settings in the Canon app.  I believe reducing the file size is the default setting.  This is done because downloading and storing a large number of files can consume significant amounts of your available phone memory and/or online storage.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

johnrmoyer
Whiz
Whiz

@Steve314 wrote:

When using the Canon app to download raw images from the EOS R my phone, there is significant loss of resolution.  Also, when transferring directly from the flash card to laptop, Windows alters the cr3 image before I can convert it to a tiff.  Is there a better way to convert cr3?

This is just my preference and others do things differently.

I think that a better way to convert CR3 is to write protect the memory card, use a card reader on the computer, and point the free to download Canon Digital Photo Professional software at the memory card. Then make a folder on the computer and tell DPP to save the JPEG or TIFF to that folder.

I looked at that app, but unless you pay for a subscription, the edited files are saved with a watermark. 

@Steve314 wrote:

I looked at that app, but unless you pay for a subscription, the edited files are saved with a watermark. 

The mobile version of the DPP app may require a subscription.  The version that runs on a personal computer or laptiop is free of charge.  No subscription is required.  You only need to enter the serial number of your camera to download it.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements