cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M50 HDMI Output - Keeps Flickering / "Resetting"

EAS
Apprentice

Just setting up the HDMI output on my EOS M50. I thought everything was great upon initial appearance of the camera view on the monitor, then found that every 10-15 seconds the monitor goes dark for a few seconds, then the the camera image comes back onto the monitor. It's as if the camera output of the HDMI is weak or out of spec or stopping / starting and the monitor has to redetect it.  The monitor works fine elsewhere, and I've tested both monitor HDMI inputs.  

This feels like a camera problem - what should I check?

7 REPLIES 7

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Have you tried a different HDMI Cable to see if the cable is bad. If so your camera may be faulty.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, 430EX III-RT, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D, Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 EX DC OS HSM & EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What do you mean when you say “setting up the HDMI output”?  Do you have to change any of the camera’s menu settings?  All that you should need to do is simply connect a cable and turn on  the power.

Is everything running on battery power?  Is there anything else connected to the camera?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EAS
Apprentice

Good to know that no additional setup beyond plugging in a cable should be necessary.  I have two new cables inbound for testing tomorrow, otherwise it goes back to Canon.  

@EAS wrote:

Good to know that no additional setup beyond plugging in a cable should be necessary.  I have two new cables inbound for testing tomorrow, otherwise it goes back to Canon.  

You did not exactly answer the questions.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

EAS
Apprentice

I have tried both battery power and hardwired power via the Canon adapter.  There is an external audio input connected. The behavior is consistent across both power variations and perfectly repeatable.  

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

What exact monitor are you using?

And what HDMI signal (resolution, framerate, etc.) is the camera outputting?   1080i 59.94? 1080p 30?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

EAS
Apprentice

Thank you for the input everyone.  I tried 3 cables and 2 monitors; problem was repeatable and followed the Camera.  I sent it to a Canon service center.

Announcements