cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M100 - Memory Card Error

ken2020
Contributor

Greetings,

I love this camera but today when I turned it on, I got an error message saying "Memory Card Error".  I am using a Sandisk Ultra 32GB SD card.  Tried three other SD card and it is the same error.  When I go to settings to format the card, the "format" option is greyed out.  Read online and it says to pull the battery and reinsert after 10-15 seconds.  Tried that and not working either.  I had this camera for just a little over a year so think the warranty is done.  Don't know if I am just really lucky or if this is a common problem and have an easy solution.  Thanks!

19 REPLIES 19

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Make sure that you only use full size memory cards, not the micro-Sd cards with adapters.  Always low level format new memor cards in the camera.  Finally, make sure that the "Write Protect Tab" on the SD card is not in the protected position.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the response.  The SD card are full size and not the micro adapter type.  Also the card is not locked.  

Tim
Authority

ken2020, 

We recommend trying a different card in the camera to see if the issue persists. 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the reply.  I tried four different SD cards.  Sandisk 32 GB, Patriot 16 GB and two Adata 8 GB.  The chance of all four SD cards going bad is pretty slim.  Inserted the cards into another camera and there are no issues.  Don't want to buy another card if the problem is with the camera.  Is this a common issue or am I SOL?  

ken2020, 

We're sorry to hear the issue persists.  We recommend sending the unit in for evaluation. 

You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

www.usa.canon.com/repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you again for the reply.  Although no thank you for the evaluation.  I am living in Canada and sending the camera to Canon for repair will cost $215 plus postage.  Pretty expensive considering I can buy a new Canon M100 for $400 right now.  Unfortunately, I think this will be my last Canon camera I will buy.  No offense to Canon and the other users here but I am having some major quality issues with Canon products.  I brought this M100 for ~$470 just over a year ago and it stopped working after 14 months.  I had a Canon Elph 360 before and the lens do not extend after 18 months of light usage.  So either I have bad karma with Canon products or some other QC issue inherent with certain Canon products.  I am not wealthy by any means so spending ~$400 on a product that stops working after a year or two is completely unaffordable.  I also am not a heavy user of the camera perhaps taking pictures approximately 12 times a year so don't know why the Canon cameras keep on breaking.  It is also frustrating expecting to take pictures and not being able to do so.  I will probably toss this junk and attempt to sell my two Canon lenses for pennies on the dollar.  Going to move on and revert back to my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 that I brough many years ago.  Ancient by today's standards but at least it works. 

Perhaps I will write a letter to Canon Canada and ask about this QC issue.  If I can find enough Canon users with the same issue through social media, perhaps I can get Canon to look into this and take it seriously.  

Thank you again for your time and have a good day.

@ken2020 wrote:

Thank you again for the reply.  Although no thank you for the evaluation.  I am living in Canada and sending the camera to Canon for repair will cost $215 plus postage.  Pretty expensive considering I can buy a new Canon M100 for $400 right now.  Unfortunately, I think this will be my last Canon camera I will buy.  No offense to Canon and the other users here but I am having some major quality issues with Canon products.  I brought this M100 for ~$470 just over a year ago and it stopped working after 14 months.  I had a Canon Elph 360 before and the lens do not extend after 18 months of light usage

So either I have bad karma with Canon products or some other QC issue inherent with certain Canon products.  I am not wealthy by any means so spending ~$400 on a product that stops working after a year or two is completely unaffordable.  I also am not a heavy user of the camera perhaps taking pictures approximately 12 times a year so don't know why the Canon cameras keep on breaking.  It is also frustrating expecting to take pictures and not being able to do so.  I will probably toss this junk and attempt to sell my two Canon lenses for pennies on the dollar.  Going to move on and revert back to my Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ28 that I brough many years ago.  Ancient by today's standards but at least it works. 

Perhaps I will write a letter to Canon Canada and ask about this QC issue.  If I can find enough Canon users with the same issue through social media, perhaps I can get Canon to look into this and take it seriously.  

Thank you again for your time and have a good day.

Where are you buying your Canon gear?  Where are you storing the cameras when they are not in use?

Thank you for your question.  I brought the M100 at a Shoppers Drug Mart, a chain of pharmacy equivalent to CVS Pharmacy in the U.S.  The M100 is stored in a camera bag along with two Canon lenses, the 15-45mm and 75-300mm.  As mentioned before, I don't take photos very often and when the M100 is not in use, I take out the battery and SD card and stored in a plastic case.  The Elph was in a small case.  Both cameras have never been dropped or thrown around.  

@ken2020 wrote:

Thank you for your question.  I brought the M100 at a Shoppers Drug Mart, a chain of pharmacy equivalent to CVS Pharmacy in the U.S.  The M100 is stored in a camera bag along with two Canon lenses, the 15-45mm and 75-300mm.  As mentioned before, I don't take photos very often and when the M100 is not in use, I take out the battery and SD card and stored in a plastic case.  The Elph was in a small case.  Both cameras have never been dropped or thrown around.  

I wonder if Shoppers Drug Mart is an authorized Canon dealer.  

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/contactus/where-to-buy/authorized-dealers/ 

CVS is not an authorized USA dealer, so I doubt if Shopper Drug Mart is an authorized dealer in Canada.  Returned merchandise at those types of retailers have a way of finding its' way back onto the shelf, ready to be sold to the next customer.

The Elph cameras are so cheap, that they are practically disposable cameras.  All it takes is little piece of dirt or grit in the lens mechanisms to jam it up.  If you have can of compressed air, have at it.  The camera does not work right now, anyway.

Announcements