cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS M 50 shutting off

cotcm2000
Apprentice

Hello , 

I have EOS M50 I purchased December 2020 , have always used wired (dummy) power source, lately camera is cutting off in about 30 minutes of streaming , the only difference is I using HDMI going into Blackmagic ATEM mini pro , when camera cuts off there is a flashing green light on top right side of camera that I have never seen flashing before, Why is camera shutting off?

Thanks for all your help

6 REPLIES 6

Mark35mmF2
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cotcm2000,

In the camera menu there will be an option labeled [Auto Power Off]. I would recommend checking those settings to make sure they are disabled. It sounds like you mentioned you had made a change to your streaming setup. If you were using the EOS Webcam Utility prior, that software managed this function for you so it may not have appeared until that change was made.

cotcm2000
Apprentice

Thanks, all the power saving settings are off, I am using HDMI cable into Blackmagic Atem Mini Pro, I was told only USB cable connection can override the shut off feature when using the utility, my understanding the EOS utility only works with USB. I am looking for a way for the camera to stay on when using HDMI cable (the ATEM doesn’t accept USB connections.)

The M50 does not provide clean HDMI output. I believe that the M50 Mark II does. There is no way to make the camera do what it was not designed to do. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

To my amazment, You can get clean HDMI, I just hd a Canon tec tell me this last month, I found out how to c=get a Clean HDMI by pushing buttons  and by accident I got a clean HDMI

Cameras that support clean HDMI have 2 different outputs. They have a separate output for the LCD screen and the HDMI port. The EOS M50 does NOT have the hardware to support this feature. You simply can't add Clean HDMI out via software its NOT possible. As @Waddizzle pointed you are NOT using the camera as it was designed to be used. Your camera may be shutting down on overheat protection.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"...  I using HDMI going into Blackmagic ATEM mini pro ..."

My guess without further info is the M50 is getting too hot. It has a safety shut down.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements