cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 90D errors from Tamron lens at high angle

codegen
Contributor

I have a G1 Tamron 150-600 that I bought 8 years ago when I had a T2i, now shooting a 90D. When I use it for birds, even pointing up into a tree (mostly hand held, occasionally tripod) it works fine. However, when I shoot the sun (with a solar filter) I get about two shots and then I get an error communicating with the lens, and I have to remove the camera and reattach it to the lens. I'm using the tripod mount on the lens, so there should not be much stress on the camera lens mount (the 90D is not a heavy camera). I never got that error with the T2i. Any Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What might be immediately helpful is testing the lens on another body.  

What type of filter are you using with the lens? (please be specific)  since your post indicates you only get the error when pointing the lens at a bright light source.

I believe this is your lens:

SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USDA011

Last FW was 2-19-2019.  For A011 G1 variants, the lens has to go back to Tamron for Updates.  Its not Tap-In compatible.  Doesn't look like it includes anything for the 90D, except for the LiveView Update.  Is this problem occurring during LiveView shooting?

FW for 2-19-2019
Service for compatible with Canon EOS R New firmware version makes the model compatible with Canon EOS R series cameras (*1) and Canon "Mount Adapter EF-EOS R" for general operations(*2).
(*1) Compatible cameras: EOS R / EOS RP / EOS R5 / EOS R6
(*2) Functions used on DSLR cameras February 19, 2019
Service for adding the Live View AF feature In combination with the Canon EOS 8000D, EOS Kiss X8i or any later camera model, the AF feature will operate properly in the Live View shooting mode.

* Among the supported lens models, those for which production is discontinued are not listed.
Service for adding the panning feature The lens will be used for panning when the VC camera shake compensation mechanism is active.

You'll have to determine if there is any correlation between the Comm error and LiveView.  I'm not a Tamron user, so maybe others can add to the conversation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

What might be immediately helpful is testing the lens on another body.  

What type of filter are you using with the lens? (please be specific)  since your post indicates you only get the error when pointing the lens at a bright light source.

I believe this is your lens:

SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USDA011

Last FW was 2-19-2019.  For A011 G1 variants, the lens has to go back to Tamron for Updates.  Its not Tap-In compatible.  Doesn't look like it includes anything for the 90D, except for the LiveView Update.  Is this problem occurring during LiveView shooting?

FW for 2-19-2019
Service for compatible with Canon EOS R New firmware version makes the model compatible with Canon EOS R series cameras (*1) and Canon "Mount Adapter EF-EOS R" for general operations(*2).
(*1) Compatible cameras: EOS R / EOS RP / EOS R5 / EOS R6
(*2) Functions used on DSLR cameras February 19, 2019
Service for adding the Live View AF feature In combination with the Canon EOS 8000D, EOS Kiss X8i or any later camera model, the AF feature will operate properly in the Live View shooting mode.

* Among the supported lens models, those for which production is discontinued are not listed.
Service for adding the panning feature The lens will be used for panning when the VC camera shake compensation mechanism is active.

You'll have to determine if there is any correlation between the Comm error and LiveView.  I'm not a Tamron user, so maybe others can add to the conversation.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

codegen
Contributor

That is indeed the lens. It has never been updated. I wonder how much it would cost given the lens is 8 years old.

I am using LiveView, but with Manual Focus (There isn't really much detail that the autofocus could lock on with the solar filter). I am using VC, may be I should try turning if off since I'm using the wired remote. The solar filter is a Kendrick 6004-sf  https://www.kendrickastro.com/solarfilters.html.  The one with the three tabs as opposed to the full collar (illustrated just above the table that contains 6004-SF. Unfortunately, I gave by T2i to my brother (2000km away) so I don't have a second body to test with. Example photo below, the sun that day was mostly featureless with some small sunspots on the left limb of the sun.

_MG_2753.JPG

Have you downloaded the Tamron Lens Utility SOFTWARE or TAP-in Utility to see if it will update? It looks like that are free.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

The G1 doesn't have a USB port on them for the Tap-in. Too old.

March411
Enthusiast

That would be the problem. I am unfamiliar with that lens but no port would kind of be a hard stop.

Good luck tomorrow!

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@codegen,

I'd try and get through tomorrow as March411 suggests.  If you plan to keep the lens, I'd get it to Tamron for inspection and the 2019 update.  It will increase the re-sale value should you ever decide on that.  It will also improve LiveView and VC operation (with DSLRs).  Most importantly it provides compatibility with a R series body and EF to EOS-R adapter (Which Tamron claims).

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks.

codegen
Contributor

Looks like it was the live view. If I use the live view to focus and centre the shot, and then turn it off, the shots work perfectly. I also had VC turned off as well.

Thanks for the help.

_MG_2819.JPG

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

I was going to say, I have never had an issue.

Announcements