cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 80D / Vertical Lines on screen :/

MLeeMo
Apprentice

Hi!  I'm a bit frustrated as I upgraded from my EOS T2i that I used a lot back in the day to the EOS 80D few years ago.  I take pictures as a hobby so no expert here.  I keep my camera and lenses in a low humidity case to avoid damage.  Recently after few months without using the 80D I notice the screen have several vertical lines and is darker in the corner of the screen.  The lines are not on the pictures just in the screen however, is bothersome to review pictures with this issue.  Is this issue is happening? is changing the screen an option? is worth it? my camera have very little hours of use.  Any help will be appreciated.   Thank you! 🤗

9 REPLIES 9

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

It sounds like photo cropping is turned on. You can turn it off in the menu system. The camera by default takes pictures in an aspect ratio of 3:2 just like 35mm film did. Please post a picture of the rear LCD screen too. But it sounds as if cropping is turned on.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Do a reset back to factory default. Whenever anything doesn't go as you expect and you don't know why a reset will often correct it. Sometimes buttons get pushed and settings changed with out you realizing it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Stephen

Can you take a photo of the back of your screen with your phone so we can see what you're seeing? 

MLeeMo
Apprentice

Thanks allScreen Shot 2023-06-18 at 4.54.11 PM.png for your response 🙂 here is a picture of how it looks like...

I really don't see any lines on the LCD screen. Unless your taking about the wall in the picture which looks like wood paneling. But that's part of the wood.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

I notice you have a screen protector on the display.  The wierd vertical lines may be the screen protector not adhering to the display evenly.  Try removing it and see if that helps.  You many need to replace the screen protector.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

It doesn't look like one is attached. But its hard too tell if one has been attached to the screen.

-Demetrius

Yeah, based on this reference photo, it's hard to tell.

80D-7dII_comp.jpeg (1600×827) (dpreview.com)

But the wierd vertical stripes I've seen before with poor quality glass screen protectors.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"I notice the screen have several vertical lines and is darker in the corner of the screen.  The lines are not on the pictures just in the screen however, is bothersome to review pictures with this issue."

Yes I see some moiré pattern in your screen. If it bothers you a bunch send it to Canon service and ask for a C&C and also explain the condition to them. However you are out of warranty so if the LCD screen is going south, the cost will be on you.  I suspect you have cleaned the screen with a good lens cleaner and a cloth designed for eyeglasses?

Otherwise try to ignore it and see what happens. It may never get any worse or better for that matter. If it doesn't effect the pictures its just a minor inconvenience. I don't know what the cost is to replace the LCD but I suspect several hundred bucks. When Canon does a job like this they check everything and bring it all back up to factory specs.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements