cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D lens and accessory compatibility with EOS M50 Mark II

Kaplang
Contributor

Will the Canon lens I use with my EOS 7D be compatible with the Canon EOS M50 Mark II ? And what about the battery, memory and wired remote shutter button? 
I’m considering getting the M50 if the 7D accessories and lens will transfer 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am now the owner of an R50. Time will tell if I got good advice and made the right decision. Either way Canon is working hard to make it obsolete.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

I would not at this point invest at all with the M-series cameras.  They have been discontinued.  Instead, look to the R-series of cameras.  Especially at the EOS R50.

To use your existing EF or EF-S lenses with an R-series camera, you would need a Canon EF to RF adapter.

Beyond lenses though, what other accessories do you have?

Also very helpful is what you're budget would be.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

March411
Enthusiast

Ricky is spot on when suggesting a body other that the M50.

I've owned an M50 since they rolled out of production, they are a great little camera when you don't want to carry an expensive or heavy body. Mine just returned from Mexico.

Having said that, the an R body would be a better investment at this point given just the improvements in the AF system alone over the M50.

An EF to RF adapter will allow you to use your existing lenses just be aware of the crop verses full sensor challenges. I own a couple Sigma lenses that will not work on full frame sensor.

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Kaplang
Contributor
  • Let me ask the question again. Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I don’t care the M50 has been discontinued. The manufacturers are constantly changing  their products and I refuse to keep up. It’s the M50 I’m interested in.
  • Will the Canon lens I use with my EOS 7D be compatible with the Canon EOS M50 Mark II ? And what about the battery, memory and wired remote shutter button? 
  • I’m considering getting the M50 if the 7D accessories and lens will

@Kaplang wrote:
  • Let me ask the question again. Maybe there is a misunderstanding. I don’t care the M50 has been discontinued. The manufacturers are constantly changing  their products and I refuse to keep up. It’s the M50 I’m interested in.
  • Will the Canon lens I use with my EOS 7D be compatible with the Canon EOS M50 Mark II ? And what about the battery, memory and wired remote shutter button? 
  • I’m considering getting the M50 if the 7D accessories and lens will

• The M50 is a much smaller body that uses much smaller batteries that not compatible with a 7D.  You would want to invest in extra batteries.  Battery life of the M series bodies is not one of their strong points.  The R7 batteries are backward compatible with the 7D, but not vice versa.  Older batters may work, but performance might be degraded slightly.  You may have slower FPS during bursts, for example.
  • You would need to purchase a mount adapter to use your current EF and EF-S mount lenses on the M50, just as you would need a mount adapter with an R series body.  That is the best answer I can provide without knowing what lenses you have.
  • I do not believe a remote shutter release for a 7D would not work with any M series body.  If the M50 has a release, then it would be a smaller connector.  Although there are/were pinout adapters to allow the larger connector to be used with the smaller connector on the compact camera bodies.  However, you should be able to use an app running on a smart device and Bluetooth connection as a remote shutter.  

If you wish to purchase the M50, then by all means do so.  It is not a decision that I would agree with, though.  The R Series bodies have a more familiar back panel and longer battery life.  

There is no guarantee that any third party DSLR lenses you might own would be fully compatible with R series bodies, anyway.  If you shoot mostly stills, then you may not notice any difference until you push the limits of the camera/lens combo.  That limit with an R Series would exceed anything that you could achieve with an M series body.

Hope this helps.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

To answer your question specifically, yes they can work but only if you use the EF to EF-M adapter.
Your batteries from the 7D will not work on the M50, the M50 uses much smaller LP-17 batteries, so you would need to buy at least one spare.
You cannot use your existing remote cable from the 7D: it uses a RS-80N3 remote, while the M50 uses a RS-60E3 model, which is incompatible.
Thus, you would essentially need all new accessories.

Your challenge maybe finding either as Canon no longer offer any M series equipment for sale new.  Canon occasionally have in stock a refurbished (good as new) unit, but they have none right now.  Still you can ask to be informed when one comes in: https://www.usa.canon.com/shop/p/refurbished-eos-m50-mark-ii-body-black
Alternatively, you can go to KEH dot COM and look at their used or refurbished gear, that is likely your best bet for a M50 body and EF to EF-M adapter.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

CADuke
Apprentice

Memory card in 7D is CompactFlash(CF) the M50 mk ii uses SD cards.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings ,

The term buy right, buy once and buy wrong, buy twice definitely applies here.  The EF to EOS M adapter can only be used on an M series body.   The EF to EOS R adapter can be used on any R series body today and in the future. I think everyone has pointed out good reasons to consider an R series body over an M.  We hope this information will help you in your purchase decision.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Kaplang
Contributor

If I go with the R series. Is there a good tried and true EF to RF adapt other then Canon that will let me take full advantage of my EF mount lenses. The price difference between Canon adapters and 3rd party is $100+. I expect that but Is the Canon really necessary ?

Thanks 

Yes.  Only go with the Canon-branded adapter.  Using third-party adapters are not worth it and have been known to cause compatibility issues.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers
Announcements