cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D lens and accessory compatibility with EOS M50 Mark II

Kaplang
Contributor

Will the Canon lens I use with my EOS 7D be compatible with the Canon EOS M50 Mark II ? And what about the battery, memory and wired remote shutter button? 
I’m considering getting the M50 if the 7D accessories and lens will transfer 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I am now the owner of an R50. Time will tell if I got good advice and made the right decision. Either way Canon is working hard to make it obsolete.

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33

These are all good points, but I think it's important to let our OP respond in case there are other factors to consider.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I've had an M50 Mark II for a year and a half now, owning several EF-M lenses and a few EF/EF-S lenses, which I use with a Viltrox adapter, with which I've had no issues. I won't tell you not to get an R50, but I would encourage you to physically get your hands on one and try the lenses you have that you plan to use with it to see if you're satisfied with the ergonomics. The bodies of the M50 and R50 are similar in size, but the RF mount is much larger than the M mount, and I would be concerned about having enough room for my fingers when using anything other than RF-S lenses on it.

Kevin Rahe
EOS M50 Mark II

I would agree that for anyone considering any new gear, especially any new body, it is wise to handle it before buying.  Still, I am waiting to see if the OP gets back to us with his specific requirements and constraints so we can figure out if one or more options is appropriate.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Kaplang
Contributor

Thank you all with your help
I’ve been looking around using Google and watched a few videos.
My Google search was “best Canon mirror less camera for stills”

Stills  is what I will use it for 99% of the day time. 

Came up with the R50. Looks like it will do what I want at a price I can afford. Haven’t completely decided yet but I’m leaning towards it. I think I will be able to use the EF mount lens of my 7D with it if I get the right adapter. Any suggestions on which adapter will be greatly appreciated 

Please chime in with your thoughts,
Thanks

7007796A-7937-4960-ACD9-0A21623D3F0E.jpeg

If you want an even smaller camera, there's also the EOS R100.  It would have less features though.

In terms of an adapter, if you plan to eventually move to RF lenses sooner than later, the standard EF to RF adapter would suffice.  However, if you plan to use your EF lenses for a longer duration, you may want to consider the EF to RF adapter with the control ring if you'd find that feature to be useful.  Again, strongly recommend the Canon-branded adapters so as to maximize compatibility.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

I am now the owner of an R50. Time will tell if I got good advice and made the right decision. Either way Canon is working hard to make it obsolete.

Almost every camera manufacturer releases a lot of camera bodies when they change platform. Nikon has done that and so has Sony.  That is especially true of the consumer level units.  What does not change often are the lenses, so investing in good glass is a wise decision because the lens has a massive impact on image quality.

The main thing is, having got the gear to use it, enjoy it and learn all you can about its operation - the R series cameras will be around for a long time, and the M-series was essentially confined to history.  There is a phenomenon called Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS), that many photographers (and other tech consumers) suffer - the idea that the next technical breakthrough or even tweak might release their latent genius as a creative. That, combined with FOMO, makes them regret a purchase almost immediately because something new and better may, or has come out - it is nurtured by the marketing on social media and You Tube and honestly leads to many having unnecessary stress and regret - which is tragic.

Technology is changing rapidly, but it always has: even as photography began in 1839, it did so in an explosion of technological advances across all areas of society, and that has not really stopped.   Still, professionals don't change cameras at all often, despite what You Tube and other social media might suggest.  Yet, they are the ones who produce beautiful images of sufficient consistent quality to make a living from the activity.  To us a camera is a tool to be mastered and the most important element is the skill of the person using the equipment.

So, my point here is to not look over your shoulder at what might come out, or at a platform that has had its day, but enjoy what you have, master it and revel in your resultant skill.  

cheers, TREVOR

Kaplang
Contributor

UPDATE

. My new R50 came with 2 lenses. An RF 18 to 45mm and RF 55 to 210mm.
There replacing the EF 28 to 135mm lens I used on my 7D that's going up for sale.
The 2 RF lenses fulfill the range of the EF lens but I'm wonder if I should keep it.
What's your take on this? Do I need the EF lens for any good reason other then a spare. I do have the adapter if I do. If not it's going up for sale with the 7D.

Thanks

If you are going to sell the 7D, you may as well sell the other optics with it, if you are happy with the new lenses you got with your F50. The 28-135 is a pretty venerable optic - I have one - and will not do justice to your new camera, also, given you were keen to get a small form factor, that is a bulky lens, and with the added adapter it will be pretty massive on that small body.
If you can sell your legacy gear it gives you more funds to consider other, more compatible lenses or other items for your new kit.
I sincerely hope it gives you the results you are hoping for - happy shooting!!

cheers, TREVOR

Thanks Trevor. I agree with everything you say, 
When I took the RF lenses out of the box I was surprised at the cheap build quality compared to the EF lens and the D7. I know the end result is what really counts but I don’t like cheap and that is the path Canon took with the R50 and the RF lenses I now own.

Announcements