cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 7D LCD issue (Grey screen)

babou19
Apprentice

I There, 

I dropped my7D camera on the ground and then I got the error 40 Battery issue. Sent it back t Canon for repair but it was more expensive to repair then buying a new one. I then asked them to send it back. I changed this part: Bottom Main FPC CH1-8701 and then got rid of the error 40. When I reassembled it all back the cemera was working fine, it is taking the pictures but is not displaying anything on the LCD panel. I can see that it's not black, it's more greyish... I then ordered another LCD panel and replaced it. When I turned on the camera I got the same issue. I think that maybe a short or a fuse broke somewhere but I don't find anything on the internet to guide me further. Anybody has the knowledge to help me with this issue?

Thanks 

5 REPLIES 5

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

With only a grey screen showing, it sounds like only the display backlight is getting power but one or more of the data lines isn't intact.  Carefully check the ribbon cable from the PC board to the LCD to make sure it is properly in its contact, release it and reinsert it into its connector making sure that it is fully seated and straight. 

It is quite possible one or more circuit board traces were cracked when it fell.  

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... it was more expensive to repair then buying a new one..."

There was a reason Canon bid it that way.  Cut your loses and buy a new one. You had the correct solution, so do it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

And I agree with ebiggs advice.  Canon priced out what a reliable repair would cost which is designed to:

1.  Be high enough to discourage the owner from making a bad decision and

2.  Cover the cost of required replacement assemblies to do a truly reliable repair if the customer decides to go through with the repair.

I do electronic repairs on stuff more complex than the 7D but I would likely not bother with a DSLR that was dropped with sufficient damage to cause electronics breakage because if it was a hard enough drop to cause electronic issues it didn't do the fairly fragile shutter and mirror mechanisms any good either. 

Repairing stuff involving cables and circuit board traces can be a major and ongoing pain.  The only Canon product I have ever regretted purchasing was a "hi 8" camcorder that I probably bought in the late 1980s.  It used several horribly low quality flexible printed circuit connecting cables between boards and assemblies and I repaired failures in those many times in the three years before that then fairly expensive piece of gear went into the garbage.  It went back twice under warranty for repairs related to those in the first three months and once out of warranty I quickly decided it wasn't worth my time to repair.  Current Canon stuff is far better built both in construction and component quality but the Canon SLR cameras of that era were also well built and reliable unlike at least some of their camcorders.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

Hi guys,

Thanks for the reply. For your information I bought a new camera. I would still like to fix the 7d to sell it back or maybe use it as my secondary camera. This is why I'm looking for a DIY way of fixing it.

Thanks.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend
If you need to ask, then you should not try it. It will not be like changing your oil in your car.

BTW, to do it right you will need test gear that will far exceed the cost of the repair, or a new camera.
--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements