cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 70D Light Bleed Artifact

tbwnm
Contributor

A band of light is showing up on 90% of pictures. Tried changing lenses and it made no difference. Does anyone know what could be causing this?Light Artifact Sample 1Light Artifact Sample 1Light Artifact Sample 2Light Artifact Sample 2

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe a similar issue was recently diagnosed in another thread.  This appears to be a failing shutter.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If spending the least amount of money is your goal, and you can get a shutter replaced for $300, that's attractive.  If the 70D has been good to you and you are happy with its performance, repair at that price could work.

If however, you've reached a point where the camera isn't meeting your needs or you want more, then I'd put the repair money towards a new body.  If you decide to go this route, a mirrorless body is the way to go.  The R8, R10 or R7 would be a significant upgrade from the 70D.  Note, you'll need a EF to RF adapter which is $100.  

The EF 85 would work nicely on the full frame R8.  I own this lens and its razor sharp as you know.  On the R10 or R7, you'll get a FOV equivalent of 136mm, similar to how the FOV looked on your 70D.  Canon also makes a RF135 f1.8 which is a portrait photographer's dream on a full frame sensor.  It would not be my first choice for portraits on a APS-C body, but its a spectacular piece of glass and something to keep in mind for the future.  

A refurbished R10 is $699, then grab the adapter $100.  Its will seriously run circles around any rebel DSLR without breaking a sweat.  It will also bring you up to date and open a whole new photography experience for you.  

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

I believe a similar issue was recently diagnosed in another thread.  This appears to be a failing shutter.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I did a more thorough search and the shutter is the issue. Looks like the repair cost will be around $300? There is a Canon Service Center in Burbank which isn’t too far from me so will drop it off when they open on Monday. The camera body is probably not worth much more than $300 (its 10 years old +). I’m wondering if I should put the $$ towards a new camera? Would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Its good you tested with another lens.  To be sure, you can reset the camera's settings and test with a freshly formatted SD card.  If its still present, you'll have your answer.

At that point, you need to decide if its worth repairing.  Best guess is $430 ~ $550 depending on the parts needed.  A new or refurb mirrorless body is probably more affordable than you might think and if you buy an EF to RF adapter, you can probably continue to use your existing glass.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

I need it mostly for headshots for actors (for which I use the EF 85mm lens). I'm seeing used 70'D body's for as low as $200 or I could upgrade to a 90'D refurb for around $800 for the body only. I shot with Nikon DSLR's for years and never had this issue and I'm concerned that if I go for a used/refurb this will happen again if I go with another Cannon DSLR. Although I had the 70'd  for a long time, it really hasn't been used that much. If I go for a refurbed mirrorless is there a model you would recommend? I guess if I purchase the adapter I can still use the EF85. Thanks so much!

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

If spending the least amount of money is your goal, and you can get a shutter replaced for $300, that's attractive.  If the 70D has been good to you and you are happy with its performance, repair at that price could work.

If however, you've reached a point where the camera isn't meeting your needs or you want more, then I'd put the repair money towards a new body.  If you decide to go this route, a mirrorless body is the way to go.  The R8, R10 or R7 would be a significant upgrade from the 70D.  Note, you'll need a EF to RF adapter which is $100.  

The EF 85 would work nicely on the full frame R8.  I own this lens and its razor sharp as you know.  On the R10 or R7, you'll get a FOV equivalent of 136mm, similar to how the FOV looked on your 70D.  Canon also makes a RF135 f1.8 which is a portrait photographer's dream on a full frame sensor.  It would not be my first choice for portraits on a APS-C body, but its a spectacular piece of glass and something to keep in mind for the future.  

A refurbished R10 is $699, then grab the adapter $100.  Its will seriously run circles around any rebel DSLR without breaking a sweat.  It will also bring you up to date and open a whole new photography experience for you.  

Shop Canon Refurbished EOS R10 Body | Canon U.S.A., Inc.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

tbwnm
Contributor

Thank you for the super helpful reply. The EOS R10  feels like the way to go. 🙏 

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

I believe you'll be happy with it.  The R10 has the advanced controls some of the lower end models skip putting it in a unique spot.  It also comes with Canon's latest AF software, (animal, eye, vehicle and face tracking).  4k video and a bunch of connectivity options.  You can visit Best Buy to hold one.  Moving from the 70D to it will be very natural.  1-3 days to acclimate and you're going to wonder why you didn't do it sooner. 

Post some shots for us after you get it   🙂

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~CarePaks Are Worth It

tbwnm
Contributor

Dropped off the camera for repair at Canon in Burbank and the quote to fix the shutter is $349. I can find a used 70'D body for quite a bit less (however shutter count would be unknown). I would like to get in a little closer when shooting headshots as with the 70D with the EF 85 I need to be about 10ft+ back to get a headshot (that isn't just a head 😆) with some amount of bokeh and I'm considering stepping up to a full frame and looking for a used/refurb R8. There is an R7 on Facebook Marketplace right now local to me going for $1K which is tempting (although not full frame). There are also plenty of R6's used going for around $550 (although the R6 does not feature the higher resolution sensor, faster continuous shooting speed, longer battery life or the improved circuit design for better heat management for the R7, R8 & R10).  Would love to eventually get my hands on the RF135 f1.8 but that's currently beyond my reach financially. My use case at this time is just for portraits/headshots. 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

In your boat today, I would buy the refurb 90D without second thought. Of course everything is going mirrorless and I understand that but the 90D is an extraordinary camera It is the best cropper ever made. I would couple it with the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens. There is most likely not any other camera/lens combo that can top this combo for IQ. That's what I would do well before spending $350 bucks on a T7i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements