cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D - Worth the toys or save up for 5d MKIII?

Marvin
Occasional Contributor

There are lots of things I like about the upcoming EOS 6D, but there are also a few things that I don't like so much.

 

I like: 

  • Full frame
  • Wi-Fi
  • Wi-Fi smartphone interface
  • GPS
  • HDR (maybe?)

I don't like:

  • Severe lack in AF points
  • Memory card lacking CF
  • 97% Viewfinder

The price difference is the killer, but maybe it's worth it in the long run. 

 

Is anyone planning to get the 6D, or specifically NOT going to get it for some reason?

http://www.phoblography.org/
28 REPLIES 28

I'm also planning to upgrade to the 6D from the 30D. I had the opportunity to buy a 5D3 but I'd rather put the price difference towards the new FF lenses I'll need for the 6D (Can you say 24-70 f2.8 II?)

 

Any word on specific release/shipping date for the 6D? Hoping to get before my end of December trip to the Carribean!

BrickR
Frequent Contributor

I would guess Canon didn't put the swivel screen on the 6d because of the wifi. You can now make your smartphone or even your tablet a touchscreen that will not only show what you're shooting but will control the camera as well.

 

mikegrados
Occasional Contributor

@BrickR wrote:

I would guess Canon didn't put the swivel screen on the 6d because of the wifi. You can now make your smartphone or even your tablet a touchscreen that will not only show what you're shooting but will control the camera as well.

 


This.  This exactly.  The wifi and pairing capabilities of smartphones and tablets is going to be huge - it's such a 'new' concept that I don't think a lot of folks are considering the creative applications this brings to the table.  Before, I would never have considered purchasing the separate wifi attachment.  

 

Think of how easy it will be to shoot self portraits...by yourself:

1. put camera on tripod

2. sit youself in front of camera

3. focus, pose, and release shutter via smartphone

 

Think of image review prior to moving on to the next setting

1. sync camera w/ tablet

2. chimp focus and exposure on a 10" screen rather than the 3" LCD

3. if happy w/ results, move to next spot

 

Think of having a 2nd shooter at a wedding pushing a constant stream of photos to facebook or an app like ImageCircle:

1. don't attend wedding because you are deployed

2. still enjoy the sense of 'almost' being there

 

That's just the top of my nugget...what's another good application?

Ralph_Conway
Occasional Contributor

@mikegrados wrote:

@BrickR wrote:

I would guess Canon didn't put the swivel screen on the 6d because of the wifi. You can now make your smartphone or even your tablet a touchscreen that will not only show what you're shooting but will control the camera as well.

 


This.  This exactly.  The wifi and pairing capabilities of smartphones and tablets is going to be huge - it's such a 'new' concept that I don't think a lot of folks are considering the creative applications this brings to the table.  Before, I would never have considered purchasing the separate wifi attachment.  

 

Think of how easy it will be to shoot self portraits...by yourself:

1. put camera on tripod

2. sit youself in front of camera

3. focus, pose, and release shutter via smartphone

 

Think of image review prior to moving on to the next setting

1. sync camera w/ tablet

2. chimp focus and exposure on a 10" screen rather than the 3" LCD

3. if happy w/ results, move to next spot

 

Think of having a 2nd shooter at a wedding pushing a constant stream of photos to facebook or an app like ImageCircle:

1. don't attend wedding because you are deployed

2. still enjoy the sense of 'almost' being there

 

That's just the top of my nugget...what's another good application?


Another good application imo is switching wifi off and doing a great portrait of a gitar playing singer at 2 ó clock in the morning at a dimm fireplace at the seaside, using the excellent working center AF point (-3 EV). 😉

 

Ralph

 

mikegrados
Occasional Contributor

@Ralph_Conway wrote:

@mikegrados wrote:

@BrickR wrote:

I would guess Canon didn't put the swivel screen on the 6d because of the wifi. You can now make your smartphone or even your tablet a touchscreen that will not only show what you're shooting but will control the camera as well.

 


This.  This exactly.  The wifi and pairing capabilities of smartphones and tablets is going to be huge - it's such a 'new' concept that I don't think a lot of folks are considering the creative applications this brings to the table.  Before, I would never have considered purchasing the separate wifi attachment.  

 

Think of how easy it will be to shoot self portraits...by yourself:

1. put camera on tripod

2. sit youself in front of camera

3. focus, pose, and release shutter via smartphone

 

Think of image review prior to moving on to the next setting

1. sync camera w/ tablet

2. chimp focus and exposure on a 10" screen rather than the 3" LCD

3. if happy w/ results, move to next spot

 

Think of having a 2nd shooter at a wedding pushing a constant stream of photos to facebook or an app like ImageCircle:

1. don't attend wedding because you are deployed

2. still enjoy the sense of 'almost' being there

 

That's just the top of my nugget...what's another good application?


Another good application imo is switching wifi off and doing a great portrait of a gitar playing singer at 2 ó clock in the morning at a dimm fireplace at the seaside, using the excellent working center AF point (-3 EV). 😉

 

Ralph

 


Take it one step further...yes, nail the focus, but also be able to set an aperture and shutter speed that truly compliments the scene - not just wide open with razor thin DoF, and as slow as you can hand-hold shutter speed - because the high-ISO is gonna be überclean.

WiFi/Mobile Device integration is great but doesn't replace the need for a swivel screen.

 

If you're outside a wifi hotspot and want to shoot from down low (without getting on the ground) or want to shoot bird's eye (without a ladder), you need the swivel screen.

 

Plus, maybe it's just me, but using (and lugging around) a tripod is annoying.

Ralph_Conway
Occasional Contributor

@JPop3000 wrote:

WiFi/Mobile Device integration is great but doesn't replace the need for a swivel screen.

 

If you're outside a wifi hotspot and want to shoot from down low (without getting on the ground) or want to shoot bird's eye (without a ladder), you need the swivel screen.

 

Plus, maybe it's just me, but using (and lugging around) a tripod is annoying.


As far I understood you do not need a wifi hotspot to comunicate. The Camera itself is one.

Concerning tripod I am with you, but I did not understand what you wanted to say with this.

 

Ralph

 

Hi Ralph,

 

I just meant that it would be great to have a swivel screen to shoot worm's eye view without having to lie on the ground. Know what I mean?

Ralph_Conway
Occasional Contributor

I am planing to purchase it. Had it in my hands and it felt great. VF looked great, too. AF worked amazing and I do not need neither want the new AF-system of 5D III/1D X.

What I did not like is the missing joystick and SD-card. Everything else is what I wished one year ago as a 5D II follow up.

If the new sensor is on par or even better (what I expect) than 5D IIIs this camera is mine!

 

Ralph

BrickR
Frequent Contributor

I'll wait until reviews are out on the 6d before I consider it. The 97% viewfinder was an odd bird to throw in, why couldn't they do 100%? It is a full frame after all!

The shutter max sync speed is a real issue to me personally (and strobist aren't too happy about it either) but it might not be a total deal killer.

I think the AF will be more than sufficient in practice and will surprise a lot of the nay sayers. It's not impressive on paper but quick, actual hands on reviews say its very good.

 

Canon had a chance to really create a camera that got the masses excited to spend some money, but instead look like they tried to purposely shoe horn the 6d inbetween the 5d2 and 5d3 and got an inigma that get overall lukewarm response.

 

GO FOR THE JUGULAR CANON! Stop worrying about stealing sales from other bodies and work on getting people into a Canon. They'll be less likely to switch when their collection gets big enough 😉