cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Doesn't Want to Turn On

shasta
Contributor

My 6D has not been wanting to turn on. I replace the battery and card several times and it will finally turn on after a few times. Has anyone else had this issue?

12 REPLIES 12

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Shasta and welcome to the forum:

A few questions to clarify the possibilities for us to ponder...

Has the camera been left unused for some time?

How old is the battery and is it a genuine Canon one?

Has anything changed since the last time you used the camera?  For example, a different card, different battery, and knocks, bumps etc?

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I use the camera at least 2-3 times a week. I have 3 Canon batteries that I switch out. The last one I bought was about a year ago. The only new thing I have done is I bought new cards recently. 

Hi Shasta, will the camera power up normally with the SD card removed.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

430EX III-RT & 600EX II-RT

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Not always. I removed the lens and SD card to see if the camera would turn on and it did the first time but when I tried it again it wouldn't turn on. 

Does it do this with all 3 of your batteries since you mentioned that you have 3 batteries.

-Demetrius

40D, 5D IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L III, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L II, EF 28-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 50 F/1.8 STM

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Yes it does.

Will the camera act up with your old SD cards. As Tronhard mentioned avoid using micro SD cards in an adapter they cause they too many issues.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Re: The only new thing I have done is I bought new cards recently. 

That would be my first starting point for trouble shooting the issue.  If you have the old card(s) you were using, try one of those and see if it works.   

A couple of points of note regarding cards:

1. Use only full-size SD cards, don't use the micro-SD cards with an adapter - they often cause trouble.

2. Stay away from cheap cards, or branded cards that seem to be a bargain.  There are a lot of counterfeit cards out there.  I recommend getting cards from a trusted source and not on-line unless it is an OEM site.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

deebatman316
Elite
Elite

Hi OP, have you tried removing all accessories from the camera body ie battery grip or speedlite. If not I would start by removing the lens, SD card and any other accessories to see if the body will power up normally. Also use the first party Canon battery which is an LP-E6 series battery ex. LP-E6N or LP-E6NH.

-Demetrius

-Demetrius

Announcements