cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 6D Mark II Compatibility with EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM Lens

ScottLouser
Contributor

I purchased a 24mm lens for streaming video and apparently it is not compatible with this camera as suggested?  I have the EFS 24mm f/2.8 STM.  What do I need for this purpose and camera?  Any help is greatly appreciated.  

10 REPLIES 10

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I would recommend the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can't use EF-S lenses on a full frame camera such as the 6D MkII. EF lenses will work.

normadel
Authority
Authority

EF-S lenses will not even mount on full-frame bodies.....6Ds, 5Ds, 1Ds, EOS film cameras. 

On the other hand, EF lenses work on full-frame and crop-sensor bodies.

Thank you....maybe I should have researched the cameras before purchasing...I didn't realize something seemingly so simple was otherwise!  

Not an uncommon mistake made by those new to the Canon world.  You should complain to whoever suggested the lens for YOUR specific camera.

Will do and thank you.  I do have a wide angle lens that's compatible and works well for photography....wanting to use it to create video content now on a tripod.  Maybe what I have will work.  Appreciate your willingness to respond

@ScottLouser wrote:

Will do and thank you.  I do have a wide angle lens that's compatible and works well for photography....wanting to use it to create video content now on a tripod.  Maybe what I have will work.  Appreciate your willingness to respond

What lens do you have?  Many lens with autofocus have loud apertures and focusing motors.  The microphone on the front of the camera can pick all the noises the lens makes.  

Also, not all lenses have continuous aperture control.  They imitate the behavior of an old film lens with an aperture control that would click as you rotated it to different settings.  When shooting video this would cause discrete jumps in brightness and illumination.

The EF 35mm f/2 IS USM that I suggested is both quiet and has smooth aperture control, which is rare in an autofocus lens of its age.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have an EF 17-40mm 1:4 (USM)?  It does have AF and MF, so without trying it on a tripod at close distances for recording video, I'm assuming (maybe falsely) that it'll suffice?

amfoto1
Authority

Just to be clear....

When it comes to the Canon DSLRs, EF-S lenses can only be used on the crop sensor (APS-C) cameras such as the 90D/80D/70D/etc., 7D-series, Rebel T8i/T7i/etc., Rebel T7/T6/etc., SL3/SL2/SL1 and a few other older models. These cameras also can use all EF lenses.

Full frame DSLRs (and Canon EOS film SLRs) can only use EF lenses. All the Canon 1Dx-series, 5D-series and 6D-series are full frame DSLRs.

There have been a number of EF 24mm, 28mm, 35mm and 40mm focal lengths offered that might fit your needs. Waddizzle mentions a recent model, the EF 35mm f/2 IS USM. There also are EF 24mm f/2.8 IS USM and 28mm f/2.8 IS USM and  EF 40mm f/2.8 STM. 

When it comes to Canon mirrorless cameras, both EF and EF-S lenses can be adapted for use on them. The older M-series mirrorless are all APS-C cameras that can freely use both via an adapter ("EF-M" lenses fit these cameras without need for an adapter).. The newer Canon R-series mirrorless cameras that are offered in both full frame and crop versions also can use both, however images made using a crop lens (EF-S) adapted onto one of the full frame mirrorless will be significantly cropped, sort of defeating the whole purpose of spending the extra money for a full frame camera ("RF" and "RF-S" lenses are designed to fit these cameras directly, without need for an adapter).  

To summarize...

Canon DSLRs:

• APS-C format... EF-S and EF lenses.
  • full frame format... EF lenses only.

Canon M-series mirrorless (all APS-C)

• EF-M lenses
  • adapted EF and EF-S lenses.

Canon R-series mirrorless:

• APS-C format... RF and RF-S lenses.
  • APS-C format... adapted EF and EF-S lenses.
  • Full frame... RF lenses.
  • Full frame... adapted EF lenses.

Note: RF-S and adapted EF-S lenses also can be fitted to and used upon full frame R-series, but images will be cropped.

***********\

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements