cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 60D Nightclub settings

crossphotos
Apprentice

Hi, I am a photographer in Dubai,

I have been given an opportunity to shoot in some of the very famous clubs with some of the coolest DJ's,

I want to know what the best settings are for night clubs and low light/hyper active light when taking photos & video.

I have played around in similar settings but never in a professional manor.

Please can someone help with as much detail as possible?

4 REPLIES 4

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, crossphotos!  So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model and lens you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

So sorry! I am using a Canon 60D, and lens tends to be Sigma 17mm-70mm, Macro HSM by default.

Low light will be challenging.  Even with your f/2.8 lens.   For photos, I would recommend starting at around 1/125 second and then ajusting ISO as needed.   If you find that you end up with very high ISO (and thus lots of noise), you're only options would be:

• Add light (which I'm sure would not be allowed in the venues)
  • Use a wider aperture lens (e.g. a 50 mm f/1.8 would let in a bit more than twice the light in than your f/2.8 lens).  This would only though allow you to drop the ISO by a stop which may not be enough.
  • Move to equipment that would give you far better ISO performance (i.e. less noise at given ISO levels as compared to your 60D).

For video, would recommend capturing in either 24/25 fps (using a shutter of 1/50 sec) or 30 fps (shutter of 1/60 sec).  Adjust ISO as needed.   If you find your footage is still too noisy, the same recommendations for photos would also apply.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

Actually this is a variable aperture lens F/2.8-4.0 which could cause some problems with low light. But its not as slow as an F/3.5-5.6 variable aperture lens.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements