cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5Ds stopped reading SD card slot

TallMisterHall
Apprentice

I ordered the w-e1 wi-fi converter. I realized I needed to update the firmware. After doing so, the wi-fi still didn't work I didn't know if there was a way to test it to see if it worked elsewhere, but I took it out and put the memory card from that slot back in. Only after this did I realize the SD card slot wasn't reading ANYTHING.

So, the secondary problem would be getting the wi-fi adapter working. But first... is there some way to restore the SD slot? I couldn't find a way to restore previous firmware versions.

*Will update OP with details I've neglected.
Camera is EOS 5Ds.
Not 100% certain what firmware came with the camera. I don't think I updated it after purchasing. It seems like it was definitely 1.0.[something]. It is now loaded with 1.1.4 firmware.

6 REPLIES 6

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

Which 5D do you have? Original? Mark II, III, IV?

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

My typo -- Eos 5Ds.I will edit the OP.

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

Hello, TallMisterHall, and welcome to the forum!

Which EOS 5D do you have? EOS 5DS and EOS 5DS R?

BTW, I went to school with a guy named Paul Hall and he was tall, so his nickname was Tall Paul Hall 🙂

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

In my haste, I guess I omitted that originally. It's a 5Ds.

Thank you for the reply. For those that don't know, only three cameras can use the W-E1. I have the card, but used it in my 7D mark II.

Your situation is indeed a puzzle, but hopefully, we can figure it out. There may be a bent pin or some debris in the slot, so shine a light in there and see what you think.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

I started noticing, whether it was the adapter or regular sd card, the spring action isn't like it was... I do have some experience with electronics. I wonder if it's worthwhile to open the unit up and look around.

Announcements