cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D issues with 8 GB memory card

fra1959
Apprentice

Hi everybody,

I use a Canon EOS 5D mark I and like the pictures it makes. But I have difficulties with my 8 GB CF card. IN the past no problems but since a couple of years the camera shows "Card not formatted" and the pictures are not safed! Which I cannot afford (loosing time).  Some people say that this has to do with a firmware upgrade? Someone else told me that it might be the card itself that is no good anymore (since the card functioned in the past). Can anybody please help me out with this issue? Sincerely, Frank   

4 REPLIES 4

Peter
Authority
Authority

Is your firmware 1.1.1?

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Updating the camera firmware very rarely corrects or repairs hardware failures that have suddenly appeared.  It is so rare that I am going to say that updating the firmware never works.  I’m not going to point out all the risks associated with updating firmware in a malfunctioning camera body.

With that said, have you simply tried a new memory card? 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

normadel
Authority
Authority

Have you been taking the card out and putting it back in, since the last time it worked? 

Take it out and look down into the card slot to see if any pins are bent or broken.

Do you have other CF cards that DO work? If you don't have another card, beg, borrow, or buy one so you can see what's going on.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Updating the camera firmware very rarely corrects or repairs hardware failures that have suddenly appeared."

Heed this warning before you try any FW update. Here is what you do first. Format the CF card with your Windows computer. Try it. If it still doesn't work buy a new CF card and try it same way. If it doesn't work you have a camera problem and a FW update will not help.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements