cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D MarkIV won't connect to laptop via USB port

alacey
New Contributor

My laptop won't fully recognize my camera when I plug into the USB port.  The laptop will chime as if a connection has been made but then nothing happens, I can't find my camera in file explorer or when I open the Canon 3 Utility.  The USB transfer cord that came with the camera works because I can connect the camera to my PC.  The USB port on the laptop works because I successfully pulled images off a jump drive.   

 

I have downloaded the newest EOS Utility and disabled the wifi and power off functions on my camera in attempts to get the laptop to recognize the camera.

 

I have read various forums but can't find the answer specific to my issue.  I have asked this question of the Microscoft Community and downloaded and revised all the drivers to no avail. The last communication from Microsoft was to reach out to Canon, maybe for a driver?

 

Please help!  I am so frustrated because I bought this laptop specifically for my camera and photography work.

 

Details:

Microsoft Surface Laptop 3 (arrived two weeks ago- brand new) / AMD Ryzen 5 processor / Windows 10 Home edition

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV (arrived two months ago - new)

33 REPLIES 33


@wongster41 wrote:

I have a card reader so that's not the issue, I wanted to tether to my PC for studio shooting.  Guess I'll have to use my intel PC for that, kinda annoyed Canon won't update their software to work with AMD processors.


The poblem seems to reside with AMD, not Canon.  

 

Besides, if you read the specs on the Canon software, nearly all of them call for an Intel chipset. All of them.  I know that is not the answer you are wanting to hear, but that is the long and short of it.  AMD hardware does not meet the requirements.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."

How can it be a problem with AMD if all other highend camera manufacture works with AMD except for canon? I mean, you said it yourself, if you read the specs on canon software, nearly all call for intel chipset....so Canon designed their software/hardware to work on intel only and not AMD.

"How can it be a problem with AMD ...."

 

It's probably not, so try the hub and the Canon supplied cable.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

ebiggs1
Forum Elite

Two thing to try.  Use the USB cable supplied from Canon and try a USB hub instead of directly connecting to the computer.

It could also be a USB 2 vs USB 3 problem.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and several lenses!

iceman2486
Occasional Contributor
The hub will work with USB 3.0, but not with 3.2, so it is significantly slower. The Canon supplied cable makes no difference. Canon just died not want to support AMD and USB 3.2.

When I discovered a second issue with the amd processor laptop related to it's internet connection, I returned it. I bought a microsoft laptop with an intel processor and haven't had any issues connecting my 5D MarkIV.


@iceman2486 wrote:
The hub will work with USB 3.0, but not with 3.2, so it is significantly slower. The Canon supplied cable makes no difference. Canon just died not want to support AMD and USB 3.2.

Using USB hubs isn't advised, either.  Some may work, but most will not.  More times than not, the ports are under powered.

 

[EDIT]. Canon does not try to support AMD.  It is AMD that is trying to emulate Intel.  There is something about their ports.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Doctor told me to get out and walk, so I bought a Canon."


@Waddizzle wrote:

@iceman2486 wrote:
The hub will work with USB 3.0, but not with 3.2, so it is significantly slower. The Canon supplied cable makes no difference. Canon just died not want to support AMD and USB 3.2.

Using USB hubs isn't advised, either.  Some may work, but most will not.  More times than not, the ports are under powered.

 

[EDIT]. Canon does not try to support AMD.  It is AMD that is trying to emulate Intel.  There is something about their ports.


The AMD USB hi-speed port problem is a well publicized problem on the internet.

 

Hubs are generally not advised because of the power issue mentioned, but as a poster noted above it can often help with this problem. Just connect the one device. The hub can "dumb down" the hi-speed device so that it works with the AMD USB port. But, as the poster noted, the port is slower - but faster than not working at all :-).

 

 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic

I know it's not the newest thread here but... "USB Hubs are not advised". Uhm... so it is not advised to use a Mac Notebook either then - there are no old usb ports anymore, just usb-c. Does anyone found a solution for Mac users to shoot tethered? Does anyone know if there's an adapter that works to connect the old cable with usb-c-ports? Appreciate any tipp 🙂


@swisselle wrote:

I know it's not the newest thread here but... "USB Hubs are not advised". Uhm... so it is not advised to use a Mac Notebook either then - there are no old usb ports anymore, just usb-c. Does anyone found a solution for Mac users to shoot tethered? Does anyone know if there's an adapter that works to connect the old cable with usb-c-ports? Appreciate any tipp 🙂


Welcome to the forum. 

Need to read the whole paragraph above. 

Yes, you can get a USB-C to USB-A adapter from Amazon. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472, LR Classic