cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Why AV mode only has awkward dial directions?

Chai
Apprentice

Hi folks

After shooting on manual for years I'm exploring AV mode to shoot weddings, but am finding the dial directions very awkward - and I'm unable to choose anything that works naturally after being used to my own 'M' settings. I'm keen to know if this is a shared experience - and for those who have made the transition effectively, can you offer any logic for why Canon has such an awkward offering?

Currently my 'M' dial habits are Main dial (top) operates shutter - pulled towards right = minus exposure/faster shutter. Quick control dial (back dial) pulled towards right (clockwise) = minus exposure/smaller aperture. 

Ideally in AV mode I would like to control aperture with the quick control dial still, because thats natural for me now. But thats not an option - so awkward #1.

If I relearned 'M' mode to control aperture with the top dial (in order to have consistency within my shooting habits) then the Quick control dial would of course control the shutter -fine. However, there is no option to minus exposure/faster aperture by pulling to the right.

As I see it, no matter what your previous 'M' learning is, the transition will be completely awkward and back to front. Am I right? Or has Canon got a clever plan behind all of this??

2 REPLIES 2

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What camera do you have some cameras both dials can be switched via a CF in the camera menu.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

Thanks.. I'm using a 5D mark4.. I'm aware of the option to switch dials under Custom Controls, but this only takes affect in 'M' mode. I have the option to reverse the dial direction, but that would confuse me further.

Announcements