cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark IV Black swooping line in image

RB1809
Apprentice

 I have a 5d mark iv which was purchased in 2018. I have never had the need to use use super slow shutter speeds until now. I’ve been shooting 1/8 and under. I’ve noticed this black swooping line appears in the bottom right/middle. It doesn’t stay in same spot. I’ve never had this problem when shooting faster shutter speeds from 1/60 and up. I first noticed it when using the sigma 14-24 lens and it also appears when using the sigma 50mm. I cleaned the camera which didn’t make a difference. Any help would be appreciated! 

8482E89D-6B20-484C-BD94-B324AAF88E3F.jpeg

10 REPLIES 10

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

What do you mean by cleaning the camera. Was the image sensor cleaned. That looks like it may be hair on the image sensor. Since you mentioned that it happened with 2 different lenses. Its unlikely the lens itself is the problem. Canon's lens correction DOES NOT WORK with 3rd Party lenses. The manual states that it should be turned off when using 3rd Party lenses.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

It could also be a hair on the mirror that swings up when cleaning the sensor.  It really looks like an eyelash.

EDIT: hair on the mirror won't show up in actual pic.

-jaewoo

Rebel XT, 7D, 5Dm3, 5DmIV (current), EOS R, EOS R5 (current)

It does but dust or hair doesn't move around on the image sensor though. It usually stays in one place on the image sensor. Live View can easily prove that theory too.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF 16-35mm F/2.8L USM, EF 24-70mm F/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L IS III USM, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

normadel
Authority
Authority

Are you talking about the curved dark line? It has nothing to do with shutter speed. It moves around? That's something hanging around in the mirror box, maybe getting on the sensor, maybe not.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I suspect that it could the early warning sign of a failing shutter, especially if it happens with all lenses regardless of brand.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I agree. The 2nd or rear curtain is likely on its way out. "I’ve been shooting 1/8 and under." "I’ve never had this problem when shooting faster shutter speeds from 1/60 and up." So this makes more sense now after reviewing the image. Then from what the OP said in the opening post.

-Happy Father's Day

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the lens off and look at the mirror to see if there is something there.

If something was there it would be visible at ALL shutter speeds then. With the OP using 1/60th sec or slower the 2nd curtain is also being used. Also if something was on the mirror than you'd likely see it in the viewfinder too. Since it bounces light up to the viewfinder.

-Demetrius

Anonymous
Not applicable

How hard is it to check? Worth a look. Might have something on the shutter curtain. Perhaps locking up the mirror and looking at the shutter.

Announcements