cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Overexposing Everything

whyora
Apprentice

My camera is a 5D Mll.  I often use auto focus and auto exposure when shooting action photos.  Lately, the camera is over exposing everything.  It is even to the point that it is difficult to correct a RAW image in Photoshop.  TYIA

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Is it showing overexposure on the "meter" during composition?  Did you accidentally set exposure compensation to over-expose or maybe locked ISO at some high value?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

View solution in original post

I often set to a fairly high ISO to force higher shutter speeds. 
Oh!  I just checked and my exposure compensation was set high!  I don’t remember doing that but I guess it was “operator error” after all. 
Thank you wq9nsc and everyone who replied!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority

Does it do it in Live view also? Which metering mode?

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

Is it showing overexposure on the "meter" during composition?  Did you accidentally set exposure compensation to over-expose or maybe locked ISO at some high value?

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

I often set to a fairly high ISO to force higher shutter speeds. 
Oh!  I just checked and my exposure compensation was set high!  I don’t remember doing that but I guess it was “operator error” after all. 
Thank you wq9nsc and everyone who replied!

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Does this happen with more than one lens? Look into the lens to make sure it is stopping down during exposure.

Yes, with both my 24-105 1:4L and my 70-300 1:4-5.6L.  Both Canon. 

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

When you say auto exposure what mode are you using M, Av, Tv, P or Full Auto.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

When I’m action shots (I.e. sailing races) I normally use P.

What happens with the camera set to Full Auto. Are you using a speedlite if so what brand and model.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements