cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark III Image colour is off on iphone compared to my calibrated MacBook Pro

be_roberts
Apprentice

I use the Spyder X calibrator by datacolor and update the calibration monthly. I edit my images in photoshop and I edit in sRGB colour working space (16 bit). I use an action to reduce the image size for web purposes and to sharpen it, then I save as a png and send the image to my phone via airdrop. The colour of the images on my phone appear too warm (more yellow than red), even though True Tone and Nigh Shift are turned off. Any ideas on how to remedy this? What am I doing wrong?

Note that the images print as calibrated. It is just an issue with the phone, I think.

9 REPLIES 9

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, be_roberts!

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

Oops! I totally meant to. I'm shooting with the 5d Mark III

rs-eos
Elite
Elite

As a side note, would recommend that you edit in the widest possible color space (e.g. ProPhoto RGB).

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

NatalyaP
Product Expert
Product Expert

Greetings be_roberts,

The cause of this color temperature issue would be from the iPhone if the display on your MacBook Pro is calibrated on a regular basis. You have checked to confirm that True Tone and Nigh Shift and are disabled on the phone. We recommend for you to reach out to Apple to see if there may be a different setting that needs to be adjusted or if there are different display properties that you may be able to access to have the screen on the iPhone provide a closer representation to what you see on the display of your MacBook Pro.

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@be_roberts wrote:

I use the Spyder X calibrator by datacolor and update the calibration monthly. I edit my images in photoshop and I edit in sRGB colour working space (16 bit). I use an action to reduce the image size for web purposes and to sharpen it, then I save as a png and send the image to my phone via airdrop. The colour of the images on my phone appear too warm (more yellow than red), even though True Tone and Nigh Shift are turned off. Any ideas on how to remedy this? What am I doing wrong?

Note that the images print as calibrated. It is just an issue with the phone, I think.

What are your calibration parameters?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

How does it look on a different monitor or a television?  Do you still see a significant difference?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What happens if you just send the images to the phone? Especially jpegs right out of the camera?

I asked a color expert (ctein) about this, and he did not know, so you might need to adjust the colors to send to the iPhone.

When I travel I download images (CR3 files) from my camera to my iPad and they also sync to my phone. No apparent mismatch.

I also sync edited images to my iPad from LrC for use in trip journals I share; also no apparent mismatch.

OP said his monitor was calibrated but we need to know the calibration parameters. If his monitor cal is 5000K based on his viewing conditions it's going to look warm on an iPhone which appears to be around 6500K based on Google search results.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The worst results can come from a calibrated monitor.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements