cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 5D Mark II Shutter count correct

Stoplookshutter
Apprentice

I just visited a pawnshop here in central Oregon found a 5D MK II with 17-40mm L and 70-300 USM 4-5.6 and a 430ex II in an Ape Bag and I took some pics with it and they looked really good. Paid 450.00 wanted to make sure it was not going to die on me any time soon as it has wear just kept well so I down loaded shutter count and it said 8505 shutter usage does this seem right. 14 year old camera with that low of count is there another way to check the 5D MK II SHUTTER USAGE. That is like 600 pics a year? I have done that in a day. 

4 REPLIES 4

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

1. What is the actual software name you used?

2. What is the image file name for the latest image you took (if the camera is set for Continuous file naming)? 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

The (Shutter count) app on the Mac App Store. Yes camera is set to continuous. Would that mean look at my pic count to verify that I created 3 new folders I have taken over a 150 just trying to learn the camera and it if I should have it service here is one of the last pictures taken by the camera and my first I just purchased it 2/24/24. Thank you

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have checked shutter counts from Dire Studio Shutter Count on several cameras by 1. check count on software, 2. send to Canon for service/cleaning/shutter count read and 3. checking shutter count when received back from Canon.

Cameras used were: Rebel T5i, Rebel T6s, 1D Mark IV, 1D X and 1D X Mark III.

If camera was continuosly on Continuous it would appear that the camera recorded 7008 images. Seems consistent with Shutter Count which records mirror actuations. Since you created the 101 folder doesn't look like the camera rolled over at 9999.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

The number of the image file is not meant to be a reliable indicator of shutter count. I have found the software apps are sometime way off on shutter count, too. Your camera has an estimated life of 150,000 clicks and many of them do many times that number without issue. If it truly has only 8000 the camera should look mint because that is nothing for a 5 series. Looks and appearance can be the best indicator.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements