cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 40D Camera Won't Take Photo

Susea624
Apprentice

Camera focuses when shutter button is pushed half way but you can not push the button all the way to take a photo.  Everything else works fine!  Help!!  The camera is in excellent condition other than this and occasionally it actually will take a photo and then go back to not working again.

3 REPLIES 3

amfoto1
Authority

A common problem with the 20D, 30D, 40D and 50D was that just from normal use the shutter release button would get dirt and finger oils built up inside, eventually causing delayed shutter release or preventing it entirely. There are some DIY videos online showing how you can clean it yourself... BUT those are risky and can end up damaging the camera.

I doubt Canon themselves works on these models any longer... and even when they did they just replaced the shutter release button with a new one. That's usually not necessary.

Look for a local repair shop familiar with the camera and problem. Usually all that's needed is a good cleaning and re-lubrication of the shutter release switch. That's best done with the camera partially disassembled.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2) some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & ZENFOLIO 

Thank you so much…. This will be a challenge since I am on an island along the coast of anC but I will start hunting for someone. It occasionally will take a photo but not often! Thank you for your help… the hunt begins!

As an interim, try inserting a piece of notepaper corner first between the shutter button and the camera body and run it around the shutter button. It might remove any debris that is in the annulus. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements