cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 400D formats 32GB and 128GB SD cards in adapters as only 8GB

Numberonekiwi
Apprentice

Hi I am borrowing a EOS 400D for a while from a friend. It came with a 8GB CF card but i tried putting in a 32GB which increased the photo capacity by 4x if formatted on my computer. A 128 GB increased that by 4x again giving a total of 6370 Raw + L. However if I format those cards on the camera it only formats 8GB.

Will I actually get the advertised amount of storage with the 128GB card or will it stop saving around the 430 I would normally get on a 8 GB card.

Just for a little more info I am running an SD for 32GB card and micro SD for 128GB with a CF to SD adapter.

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

@Numberonekiwi wrote:

Hi I am borrowing a EOS 400D for a while from a friend. It came with a 8GB CF card but i tried putting in a 32GB which increased the photo capacity by 4x if formatted on my computer. A 128 GB increased that by 4x again giving a total of 6370 Raw + L. However if I format those cards on the camera it only formats 8GB.

Will I actually get the advertised amount of storage with the 128GB card or will it stop saving around the 430 I would normally get on a 8 GB card.

Just for a little more info I am running an SD for 32GB card and micro SD for 128GB with a CF to SD adapter.

Micro SD cards in SD adapters frequently give problems. The risk is multiplied by using a CF to SD adapter.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

To pile on to JRHoffman75's excellent answer. If you care at all about your images, get a real CF card.

Card adapters are bad Juju on Canon cameras.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If you care at all about your images, get a real CF card."

I would also advise to not use large to huge CF memory cards. Much preferable to use several smaller one like 32gb.

Repeat again and again if need be, NEVER USE ADAPTERS ON MEMORY CARFDS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Numberonekiwi
Apprentice

Thanks for your feed back.

So i will avoid using adapter cards. Getting back to the original part of the question.

If I were to try a 32GB CF card which I dont have at the moment I would still need to format that on a computer as the camera would only format to 8GB would I still get the full storage of 32GB  or even 128 GB or would the camera stop recording images past the point where an 8GB card would of recorded. I am asking because I am doing what is possibly a once in a life time trip. or would i be best off buying a lot of 8GB cards

@Numberonekiwi wrote:

Thanks for your feed back.

So i will avoid using adapter cards. Getting back to the original part of the question.

If I were to try a 32GB CF card which I dont have at the moment I would still need to format that on a computer as the camera would only format to 8GB would I still get the full storage of 32GB  or even 128 GB or would the camera stop recording images past the point where an 8GB card would of recorded. I am asking because I am doing what is possibly a once in a life time trip. or would i be best off buying a lot of 8GB cards

Format card in camera and see how many images the display shows are available.

Then format in computer, reinstall in camera and see if the available images changes.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Although I had and used five Rebel XTi cameras in the past, I don't remember how large of CF card they can handle. If it is 8gb then that is what you need to use. There is no advantage to using huge even 32bg cards and if one goes south on you, you lose all your photos instead of just some of them. Get several smaller CF cards and shoot away.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements