cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 4000d black screen but camera shoots. help!

rigelkitty
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I've just acquired an EOS 4000d from someone who used it only sparingly (allegedly). The first time, I was able to take a few shots, and everything looked ok; today, the LCD screen went black again and never came back. Right before that, I was trying to zoom in on a flower bud. I was unhappy with the automatic mode and switched to manual, and that's when the blackout happened.

Actually, when I switch between modes, the screen flashes for a moment with the usual text, but it goes black immediately.

The camera sounds like it autofocuses with each mode I select, and it appears to shoots photos and save them to the SD. I've tried a lot of things that I've read about:

-removed SD card and battery

-put a new battery in

-cleaned all contacts

-removed the rubber cup on the viewfinder (and it looks like this model has no proximity sensor anyway)

Does anyone have another idea? Is there some hard reset button hidden somewhere that would allow me at least to reset everything to factory defaults?

Thanks in advance!

27 REPLIES 27

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If it is taking pictures you can still transfer them to your computer but USB. Try pushing the Disp button top left on the back. Remove any battery grip you may have on it or any other add-on. Try a different lens, too.

"-removed SD card and battery"    good try

"-put a new battery in"                    good try (make sure it is a Canon brand battery)

"-cleaned all contacts"                    won't help, almost never does

"-removed the rubber cup on the viewfinder"                ??????

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Many "Rebel" series cameras have an eye proximity sensor which blanks out the rear LCD when you put your eye near the viewfinder. 

Sometimes the rubber eyecup can slide up slightly and block the sensor causing the rear LCD screen to be unusable. 

Mike Sowsun

"Many "Rebel" series cameras have an eye proximity sensor which blanks out the rear LCD when you put your eye near the viewfinder. "

I do not remember that. And, I had severaal XTi's.

EB

@MikeSowsun wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Many "Rebel" series cameras have an eye proximity sensor which blanks out the rear LCD when you put your eye near the viewfinder. 

Sometimes the rubber eyecup can slide up slightly and block the sensor causing the rear LCD screen to be unusable. 

So, why remove it?  Removing it blanks out the screen.  It needs to be put back in place and properly seated.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi,

"Try pushing the Disp button top left on the back." Yeah nothing happens, regardless of which buttons I push

"If it is taking pictures you can still transfer them to your computer but USB." I know, but I can't see what picture I'm taking without the LCD 😕

"Try a different lens, too." I don't have any 😕

Thanks for replying!

"Thanks for replying!"

You won't like this post so much. But I believe your Rebel is done. Because, any repair is going to be more costly than it is worth. 

A different lens is worth trying, though first.

EB

rigelkitty
Contributor
"So, why remove it? Removing it blanks out the screen. It needs to be put back in place and properly seated."

Yes, I read on another thread that it should be removed to check for dirt and clean up, then put back in place. Anyway, the 4000d doesn't seem to have that sensor. Not that I can see. So, that couldn't be the problem.

"So, why remove it?  Removing it blanks out the screen.  It needs to be put back in place and properly seated."

Completely removing it has the same effect as properly seating it. It's only when it is slightly displaced and blocking the sensor (on cameras that have the sensor) that it is a problem.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

"So, why remove it?  Removing it blanks out the screen.  It needs to be put back in place and properly seated."

Completely removing it has the same effect as properly seating it. It's only when it is slightly displaced and blocking the sensor (on cameras that have the sensor) that it is a problem.

Thanks.  I'm not sure if I ever had a camera with the sensor.  It sounds like a potential nuisance.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements