cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 30D CF Card Error

hs123
Contributor

hello, 

my EOS 30D flashes an error for CF cards, I've purchased a few cards and none of them have worked. When I try to format the CF card, I get the er99. 

I've tried updating the firmware (said none were available)

I've downloaded ALL the updates on canon website, and I still get these errors. 

can someone please help? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

What size Compact Flash card(s) did you get?

I believe the 30D has a limitation of 64GB (so long as the latest firmware is installed. Early firmware has a smaller capacity than that. The last firmware release for 30D was 1.0.6 (check to see if that's what you have installed).

AFAIK, 30D would be able to use larger memory cards, but would only recognize part of the capacity. But maybe the camera simply won't work with "too large" a memory card.

You may need to format the card in your computer to FAT 32, prior to putting in the camera and formatting it there.

If still not working, remove the memory card and use a flashlight to inspect the pins in the base of the memory card socket. Look for bent or broken pins. (You also might inspect the corresponding holes on the face of the memory card, to see if any are obstructed.) Hopefully there won't be any problems.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Peter
Authority
Authority

No bent pins?

there does seem to be a bent pin, how can i solve this?

amfoto1
Authority

What size Compact Flash card(s) did you get?

I believe the 30D has a limitation of 64GB (so long as the latest firmware is installed. Early firmware has a smaller capacity than that. The last firmware release for 30D was 1.0.6 (check to see if that's what you have installed).

AFAIK, 30D would be able to use larger memory cards, but would only recognize part of the capacity. But maybe the camera simply won't work with "too large" a memory card.

You may need to format the card in your computer to FAT 32, prior to putting in the camera and formatting it there.

If still not working, remove the memory card and use a flashlight to inspect the pins in the base of the memory card socket. Look for bent or broken pins. (You also might inspect the corresponding holes on the face of the memory card, to see if any are obstructed.) Hopefully there won't be any problems.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

how can i check the firmware? it doesnt show on my camera. 

ive recently purchased a SanDisk Extrene 64GB 

The installed firmware version is on the "last page" of the "yellow wrench" menu. Right at the bottom, if I recall correctly. If you have version 1.0.6 then the 64GB card should be fine.

BUT, if you have a bent pin in the socket it will need to be VERY CAREFULLY straightened. This might be something you should have a professional repair person do. I doubt Canon service will work on an old model like 30D... they no longer have the replacement parts for them. An independent repair shop would be your best bet.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
FLICKR

im looking into a few options, thank you so much for your help!!

Peter
Authority
Authority

You may break the pin if you try yourself and sending it to someone professional may not be worth it.

canon said i can get a discount on a different camera.. but ive already spent so much money on this one.. im gonna get a quote and if its more than the cameras worth then ill probably scrap it 

Announcements