cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 200D continuous shooting seems slow

kimdfgsk
Apprentice

Hello! 
So I got a canon 200d in September and it’s great so far, but continuous shooting mode seems really slow. It will take a burst of photos and then lag and take 1 every two seconds whilst having the red light come up. I used a brand new faster memory card (200mb/s), I made sure I had good lighting, I shoot in RAW but it also did it whilst shooting in JPEG too…it seems no matter what I do it’s just really slow. Is this the case? Or is it something I’m doing wrong? 

thanks! 

6 REPLIES 6

SamanthaW

Welcome to The Canon Community, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however we need to let you know that the Canon Community is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, please CLICK HERE and select your country or region for your support needs.

Feel free to discuss Canon products sold outside of the United States, but please be aware that you will not receive support directly from Canon USA. 

March411
Enthusiast

It most likely has nothing to do with the camera but is the buffer for the SD card. The lag may be caused by the buffer load.

What card are you using in it?

V30 write speed is 30 MB/s, V60 write speed is 60 MB/s, and V90 write speed is 90 MB

Be a different person on the web, be kind, respectful and most of all be helpful!

90D ~ 5D Mark IV ~ R6 Mark II ~ R50 and way to many EF lenses
Photoshop and Topaz Suite for image processing
http://commonhangout.com/piwigo/

Thanks so much for your reply!

I originally started with a Sandisk sd card 100mb/s and then switched to a 200mb/s but I’m still finding it’s too slow. Do you think I’ll need an even faster one? 

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

There is a number in the display to tell you how many images you have until the buffer is full. Is that going down to 0?

Note that the 200D is no speed demon.

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

The best frame rate is around 5 frames per second in burst mode and that will slow dramatically once the buffer is full.  According to reviews, buffer depth with RAW files is around 5 frames at which point the rate drops to just over 1 FPS. 

So a fast card will help a little but given the very small buffer depth, especially when shooting RAW, you are quickly going to drop well below its stated frame rate.  It is supposed to do a bit better in JPG because it can buffer more JPG frames before filling but once the buffer is full then JPG frame rate will also drop greatly.

Turning off any internal processing (lens correction, noise reduction, etc.) should help; you can apply those in RAW.  I use much faster 1DX III bodies but I still leave all of those corrections turned off in body and apply them in post to my RAW files.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

As others have said:

Screenshot 2024-03-23 094329.jpg

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements