cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D won't let me take macro photos

wwrh
Apprentice

I have the above camera with the standard lense that came with the camera when I purchased it. 

When I went to try and take some macro pictures when I go that particular setting on the camera I am unable to take pictures and there almost sounds like there is a 'crackle' noise from my phone. 

Sorry if I have not been able to describe my problem correctly as I relatively new to photography.

Does it sound like my camera is broken?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated. 

7 REPLIES 7

wq9nsc
Authority
Authority

I am not sure what lens came standard with your camera because Canon offered various combinations and retailers often created their own camera body plus lens "kit". 

For true macro photography, you need a macro lens which is capable of focusing when an object is very close to the front of the lens.  Normal lenses won't focus as close to the front and it is likely the lens that came with your camera isn't capable of focusing very close to the lens so the sounds you hear are it trying to focus when it can't. 

Try backing off further and see if the camera now focuses. 

The macro "program" setting on your camera is designed to provide a set of likely exposure and focus settings for doing macro photography but you will also need to use a lens designed for macro/close up photography.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You have the same issue that a lot of new to DSLR people have. Especially if they have only have used an iphone or a P&S. I did DSLR 101 classes and I assure you you are not alone with this. The number one feature of a EOS 2000D or T7 is its ability to use interchangeable lenses. So in short as Rodger says the lens makes the picture not the camera. You need a true macro lens. The crackling sound is probably your lens trying to focus and it can't.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

wwrh
Apprentice

Thank you for the replies. I know what will be on my birthday/Christmas list. New lenses. Thanks again. 

zakslm
Enthusiast

wwrh,-/

I have what I think is the same camera - in US its a Rebel T7 and you may have the same kit lens - an EF-S18-55 f3.5-5.6 IS II lens.  Accordintg to the printing on the lens barrell, "Macro 0.25m/0.8ft" the closest you can get to your subject is about 10 inched.  If your subject is closer than that, the camera/lens will not be able to focus on it and probably not even be able to take a picture because you are less than 10 inches from your subject.  This is what Rodger is suggesting you do when he told you to "try backing off further..."

I like taking "macro type" photos and a macro lens is on my wish list.  However, I've used the kit lens, a longer zoom, an EF 50mm f1.8 STM and an EF-S 24mm f2.8 STM for some close up shots.  I think they came out pretty nice and the 24mm and the 50mm are my first choices for macro style shots.  The 24mm can get really close to the subject but getting close isn't the only thing that's important in macro photography.

Using the Close Up mode (the flower on the Mode dial) is a good place to start but as you learn and want to control certain things yourself (like focus point selection, aperture, shutter speed, ISO, flash, etc.) you can use other modes that will enable you to control those variables.   

I'll bet there are dozens of Youtube videos out there that cover shooting macro shots with a DSLR or more specifically with a Canon DSLR.  Viewing a few of them may be worth your time.  Better yet, try to find a "DSLR 101" class as EB mentioned on Youtube or a Beginner's Guide to using the Canon Rebel T7 first.  Then go out and have some fun!

IMG_7143.jpg

 EF 50 f1.8STM, ISO 100, f4, 1/400th sec

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"EF 50mm f1.8 STM "

Although not a macro lens, it can focus pretty closely. You can edit the photos in Photoshop or some other editor and make some pretty nice close up shots.

EB

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

Interesting request. FWIW, I knew a fellow who used to take photos of trout flies in a holder. His idea was to use a telephoto lens and zero in on the fly giving appropriate detail.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A long time method certainly not new nor not known. In fact Canon used to make what may have been the best true macro lens ever made in the Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens. Fantastic lens I loved it.

EB
Announcements