cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 2000D Can not take picture with LCD on

MylittleLyra
Contributor

When I have the LCD on it will show me what I am looking at but, when I try to take the picture it will not take the picture. The lens just moves back and forth.   There is 1 small box that I can move around the screen.  I also see all the other options on the screen and I can move threw those options.  I just can not take the picture.   How do I fix this?

14 REPLIES 14

Danny

Thanks for joining the conversation, MylittleLyra

So that the Community can help you better, we need to know exactly which Canon camera model you're using. That, and any other details you'd like to give will help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is a time-sensitive matter, click HERE search our knowledge base or find additional support options HERE.

Thanks and have a great day!

I am using the Canon 2000D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What camera are you using?  The behavior you are describing is almost consistent with some Canon cameras being in Movie Mode, instead of Live View Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Not sure if my last response went.  I am using the Canon 2000D

I did use it in movie mode to see if that worked.  It did but still would not work when i took it off movie mode.  

What lens are you using with your camera? There are potentially three scenarios that will lead to the camera & lens not being able to acquire focus (this would also happen if using the viewfinder):

1. You are too close to your subject.  Each lens has a minimum focusing distance.  So if you are closer than that to your subject, it won't be able to acquire focus.  Note that the distance isn't measured from the front of the lens.  The distance starts at your camera's sensor.  There is typically a small symbol on the camera somewhere (usually next to the viewfinder) which is a circle with a line through it.  That's where your sensor is at.
  2. Building upon 1 above, your lens has a focus limiter switch that is in the incorrect position.  e.g. on my EF 135 mm lens, I can select one of two options.  Either 0.9 meters to infinity or 1.6 meters to infinity.  If I have the switch in the 1.6 meters to infinity setting, and I'm trying to focus on something at around 1.0 meters say, it won't work.  I'd have to first switch to 0.9 meters to infinty.
  3. What you're attempting to focus upon has not enough contrast.  Especially if the area you're focusing upon is all or mostly the same brightness.   In this case, focus on an area that has better contrast (higher difference between lightest and darkest points).  You can always re-compose the image before taking the shot as needed.

There are potentiall more scenarios, but those are the main ones that come to mind.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

It is not a focusing issue it.  When I use the LCD to take a picture it will not take a picture.  It will only take a picture if i'm looking threw the viewfinder.

You mentioned that the lens is moving back and forth.  That implies it's not able to achieve focus.

--
Ricky

Camera: EOS 5D IV, EF 50mm f/1.2L, EF 135mm f/2L
Lighting: Profoto Lights & Modifiers

stevet1
Whiz
Whiz

MylittleLyra,

It sounds like your camera is hunting for focus. Are you in a dimly lit or low-light situation?

Try taking your camera outside and see what happens.

Steve Thomas

Announcements