cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1100D not working

MMJ
Apprentice

I was taking pictures, then my camera suddenly stopped working. Red light came on, screen went blank. I turned the camera off, and it wouldnt come back on again. Recharged the battery, have reinserted the SD card, tried the shutter button in case it was an issue with the display, nothing is working.  Is there anything else worth trying, or is it time fo get a replacement camera?

7 REPLIES 7

Peter
Authority
Authority

Remove everything from the camera. Insert battery and try to power it up. Check micro switches at battery door and at memory card slot.

There is a firmware bug that may kill 1000D if you have 1.0.5 or older. Normally that one would result in a Busy message on the screen.

IMG_20211031_111116.jpg

IMG_20211031_111042.jpg

Thank you for the advice.  Removed everything, switch seems to be okay. . Still cannot get it to power up. Also, sorry, I noticed my typo in the title, which I've corrected (1100D not 1000D)

You might also try to reformat the card. Is this a full size card or micro with adapter?

The battery and spare are about a year old, both fully charged, so I'm sure the battery isnt the problem.

It's a full sized card. If it was an issue with the card, shouldnt the camera at least power up?

@MMJ wrote:

The battery and spare are about a year old, both fully charged, so I'm sure the battery isnt the problem.

It's a full sized card. If it was an issue with the card, shouldnt the camera at least power up?

It should also power up without a card installed.  If it isn't then it sounds like a repair is going to be required.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Peter
Authority
Authority
If you have another battery you can try that. I don't have any more ideas after that.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@MMJ wrote:

I was taking pictures, then my camera suddenly stopped working. Red light came on, screen went blank. I turned the camera off, and it wouldnt come back on again. Recharged the battery, have reinserted the SD card, tried the shutter button in case it was an issue with the display, nothing is working.  Is there anything else worth trying, or is it time fo get a replacement camera?

The 1100D is several years old.  If you are still using the original battery, then an old and dying battery could also be issue.  Just be cognizant of how much you invest into "repairing" this camera, and balance that against the cost of a replacement camera body.  The Rebel T3 is currently being sold at KEH for well under $200, and it includes the correct battery.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements