cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 1000D Won't Read Memory Cards

gabriel1
Apprentice

My eos 1000d suddenly wont read memory cards, it worked fine until one day it asked me to format the card and got stuck on busy. Now anytime I try to format an sd card it just shows the busy screen and does nothing. I've tried formatting the sd card fat32/exfat etc. but to no avail. It works with no sd card in, focuses and takes a photo but it doesn't save anything without the sd card. Any ideas to get it to format a card would be much appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

Hi Gabriel and welcome to the forum:

What kinds of SD cards are you using - by that I am thinking of Micro SD with an adapter.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

No being an older camera I've always avoided those. Always used a 1gb sandisk and today i bought a new 32gb sandisk that does the same thing. Both just standard one piece sd cards.

Peter
Authority
Authority

There is a firmware bug if you have 1.0.5 or earlier.

Are any updates available? Or can this not be rectified?

I have checked the sites for firmware updates for several Canon sites, and no there is no firmware update.

My next suggestion is to do a full camera reset. To do so follow the instructions on P114 of your user manual.  If you don't have one, download the PDF HERE 

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I probably have the firmware for 1000D on my computer, but I will not see it before beginning of next month. And if it is that issue with faulty firmware, then it will probably not help installing the new one now https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-DSLR-Mirrorless-Cameras/Canon-EOS-1000D-problem-buSY/m-p/2368...

I am curious why Canon withdrew the firmware... on one site, there is a link but that link is broken and on all of the sites I visited there was no mention at all.  Yet, there were loose comments on some support sites that referred to a 1.8.0 firmware, but it is nowhere that I can find it.

As you say, that horse may have bolted, so one can only try the reset and hope for the best!

cheers, TREVOR

Tried the reset with no luck unfortunately. The research I’ve done also suggests there is no software available, I bought this second hand so haven’t got the discs to connect it to the computer either.
Considered cutting my loses and upgrading units to a 2000D and using my lenses. Thanks for your help

Probably a wise move!

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements