cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EL-5 incompatibility with R6 is awful business

FPphoto2017
Apprentice

I truly get it that sometimes you need to use new accessories as bait for new camera investments. However, owning my R6 for just over 2 years now and having complete and total incompatibility with a new flagship product like the EL-5 is hot garbage. Not even an adapter announced.

The investment associated with a new camera body is substantial in this day and age. Living in the U.S has our day to day expenses basically drowning us.

5 REPLIES 5

deebatman316
Authority
Authority

Actually the flagship speedlite is the EL-1. That speedlite is fully compatible with your camera. Also the R6 IS NOT COMPATIBLE with the EL-5. The speedlite mentions compatible cameras. An adapter won't work because the camera body lacks the necessary hardware for that speedlite to work.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D

I understand that, this was my biggest issue. The EL-1 is also back ordered and sold out everywhere. Canon has absolutely no idea when they may be able to meet demand for it.

Danfaz
Enthusiast

As mentioned already, the EL-1 is the current "flagship" speedlite, which is 100% compatible with the R6. You can also use any previous speedlite, such as 600EX, 430EX, etc. Those are significantly cheaper now.

I currently use the 430ex now, but its high speed sync isn't even comparable to the EL-1 or EL-5

Do you mean compatible? Or it simply can't keep up with the camera. It should be compatible just like all other EX series speedlites along with the EL-1 & EL-100 speedlites. Which 430EX speedlite do you have. Canon has released 4 versions of it over the years. The original 430EX speedlite can't be controlled from the speedlite control menu. Only the 430EX II, 430EX III & 430EX III-RT can be controlled from the speedlite control menu.

-Demetrius

Current Gear: EOS 5D Mark IV, EF F/2.8 Trinity, EF 50mm F/1.8 STM, EF 85mm F/1.8 USM, 470EX-AI & 600EX II-RT

Retired Gear: EOS 40D
Announcements