cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EF-M Lens Fitting on an EOS RP

traeschweska
Apprentice

Hi! I’m new to cameras! I just bought a Canon EOS RP camera. The lens I got for it was ef-m 11-16 mm wide angle lens. I’m seeing a problem with it fitting. Is there a way or an adapter I could buy to make this lens fit? If so please let me know. Thank you so much!

1 REPLY 1

amfoto1
Authority

I'm sorry to have to tell you, EF-M lenses cannot be fitted to R-series cameras like the RP. They can't even be adapted to them.

However, there is no such thing as an EF-M 11-16mm. Are you sure that's what you've got? The closest I can think of is an EF-M 11-22mm STM.

Assuming you want auto focus, you need to look for a Canon "RF" lens. There are many of them being offered.

An 11-16mm or 11-22mm lens would be an extreme wide angle on a full frame camera like the RP. Is that what you wanted? The widest zooms currently available for that camera are the Canon RF 15-30mm and RF 14-35mm Those are still quite wide.

A more "typical" walk-around lens for your camera would be the RF 24-105mm.. That's a moderately wide to normal to short telephoto range of focal lengths. There are two different RF 24-105mm. An "STM" is more affordable and a USM version is more expensive.

Note: There are also two "RF-S" lenses, an 18-45mm and an 18-150mm. While these will fit your camera, I do not recommend them. They are designed for the R7 and R10, which have smaller sensors than the RP. So those two lenses will "crop" heavily on your camera.

Stick with "RF" lenses and you'll be fine. Canon offers 28 of them right now and will be making additional RF lenses in the future. Shop around if you like, but for reference here are the RF lenses at B&H Photo.

It also is possible to adapt Canon EF lenses for use on your camera. There have been literally millions of those made over the last 30+ years. They are widely available used and new. To use them on an RP you need an adapter like this.

Note: EF-S lenses also can be fitted to your camera via that same adapter. However, much like RF-S lenses, EF-S lenses are made for cameras with a smaller sensor than your RP, so will crop heavily. I recommend sticking with EF lenses, if you are okay with using an adapter.

I hope this helps!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7DII (x2), 7D(x2), EOS M5, some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR

Announcements