cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dust speckles under the LCD monitor screen

mpliska
Contributor

Hi, 

I have a Canon Rebel T3i and have had it for a year and a half.I love it. However, lately I've noticed several speckles of dust under the LCD monitor screen. it's not affecting my pictures but is kind of distracting when i'm looking at the pictures on the monitor. Anyone else familiar with this problem or know what I can do about this?

Mary

31 REPLIES 31

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I doubt it is dust.  I don't see how you could get dust "under" the LCD screen.  Unless it was fitted poorly by the factory.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I'm not sure what it could be if it's not dust. or dirt. It's dozens of little speckles that are insider or under the top layer of the LCD monitor. The first few times I noticed it, I kept wanting to get my camera rag and wipe the dust off or wash the screen. However, when I did that, I found out that I couldn't get rid of it because it's on the inside of the LCD. 

Any suggestions you can make?

I have heard of Nikon cameras getting dust under their LCD screens but they were fitted poorly at the factory.  Actually quite a few Nikons have this problem.  I have never heard of a Canon having dust under there.

If it is truly dust, you are not going to be able to remove it.  It will have to go to Canon service.

Are you sure it is dust?  Could it be a failing LCD screen?  Maybe a few of the tiny elements in there are dead.

EB

I have the same problem! I just noticed today. It is definitely dust. and I have canon t3i anyway on fixing this?????

I would contact Canon and send he camera in for servicing.

mpliska
Contributor

I did contact Canon about the problem. They gave me instructions on how to correctly clean the sensor and if that didn't help I could send it in to them to have it fixed for $190.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet. since it doesn't affect how my pictures look, I may just leave it for now. 

Dust...?...under the LCD screen or the sensor?   Totaly two different things?

EB

Apparently it's in the display. Like I described earlier, when i look at the LCD monitor to view pictures that I've just taken, it appears like there are several tiny specks of dirt or dust. They don't affect how much pictures look. it's just distracting to have them there. 

Canon recommended cleaning the image sensor with a commericially available blower if it's affecting the picture.  However, if it's not affecting the picture and is only on the display (as is the case here), I can send it to Canon to have it serviced. They stated that generally costs $190.

"... picture and is only on the display ..."

Boy you have throughly confused this ol'boy.  What exactly is the dislay?  Are you talking in the view finder?  Are you talking the LCD screen on the back of the camera?

It is easy to get dust in the view finder but, I think, impossibile to get dust under the LCD display.

If you are talking the view finder, get a Rocket Blower.  The rest are junk.

EB
Announcements