cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos with Duplicated File Names

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I  have been taking a lot of photos lately. I use the plug-in for the USB port to download from the memory card. When I go to review the photos, I find that each photo has a copy designated as XXXX (1). I hate to take the time to delete each one as unneeded. Is there something in the camera or laptop computer that is doing this? TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
40 REPLIES 40

I was looking for a reference to the formatting card issue but can't seem to find the context.  So, at the risk of repeating - I strongly recommend the following:

1. remove your card from the camera, and install the image files to your computer's hard disc
2. once achieved, Eject the card, don't just pull it out, and reinstall in  your camera
3. Format the card clean.  Just deleting files will cause accumulating errors and eventually corrupt your card.  If you do it when you put the card back in, you know your card is clean for the next shoot.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Good luck and success it’s a good profession.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
That’s confusing to me. If you aren’t signed up that would mean, from my experience, that your One Drive folder on your PC isn’t connected to the cloud.

Do you have a One Drive icon on the task bar or in the notification area?

Do any of the items in your One Drive folder show any of the icons in the image I posted?
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

According to what i see-

1. Don't have a OD icon anywhere or folder. If I click on the OD, it tells me to enter my email address to set up an acount.

2. If I click on the window at the lower left, it pulls up a bunch of things. i click on the photos and it brings up the photos. I click on the OD icon at the top, the tells me to sign up.

John

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
OK. I sounds like you just have a folder called One Drive but it just resides on your computer.

Are there multiple folders in it that you want to have separately on your PC or you can create new folder on your PC and just move everything from OD over to that new folder.

That is all I can suggest without being at your computer.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

I'll just do the sequence I mentioned before. I have photos that will be separated into different categories/files for future reference. If I can get my grandson here, he should be able to help.

John

To add to the problem,  I was browsing through photos and found a bunch that had the original and two duplicates!

John

paulamc
Apprentice

yes me too
my r6 suddenly started taking 3 shots every time i press the shutter
i fiddled with the settings, found something that asked me how many photos i want to take each time i press the shutter but it wouldnt let me choose 1, the lowest was 2

so now i am getting 2 shots for each press very annoying
i would love to know how to fix this

Sounds like you might have multiple exposure or HDR settings engaged.

While I would normally suggest resetting the camera, this time I am going to suggest you step through each of the Menu settings so that you can learn what the settings are and what they do.

You should also open the manual on your computer and have that available as you step through the Menus.

cam.start.canon : For customers using the EOS R6

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

There is a lot of information here and some of it is confusing to follow as it covers different topics and there is also material from  @Paulamc that should be in its own thread as there is no proof that the underlying cause is the same and it's just confusing this thread for everyone.  I suspect the two posters may actually be dealing with different issues and they are certainly using different camera systems.  So, in my responses I am just going to address the issues described by the @TinType_18 as he is the OP.

From what I understand so far, the issue appears after the files have been copied to a computer or other storage device.  Can you please confirm this by checking the original files on your card?  If they are not identified as xxxx(1) etc. on the card, then the issue is a computer one.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements