cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos with Duplicated File Names

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I  have been taking a lot of photos lately. I use the plug-in for the USB port to download from the memory card. When I go to review the photos, I find that each photo has a copy designated as XXXX (1). I hate to take the time to delete each one as unneeded. Is there something in the camera or laptop computer that is doing this? TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
40 REPLIES 40

@Tintype_18 wrote:

I do a bit of "editing" on some as to light and color. Did two that I sent up a couple of days ago. As for the final edit, I let the pubisher/editor do the editing to fit their publication. Still learning my camera as I'm aware that there are features that could shoot some great photos. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I am no pro, but it seems to me that if it is your gear, then it is your image.  Once you give away the original, it's theirs.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

There are different categories of "rights" for photos and text. I'm aware of the guidelines of each publication, printed off and kept in a file.

John

Did some checking and more confused than ever. For whatever reason, my T7 and SX530 HD are sending photos to OneDrive. To email a photo, I have to send it to File Explorer, go to the Recycle Bin where the photos land, then I have to click Restore to send them to File Explorer.

OK, I checked the OneDrive photos and there are no duplicates as XXXX-(2). They are only on the recent downloads of File Explorer. Never had this before.

Can't fugure out why I have photos in two places. This happens with both cameras.

Again, thanks for all your advice!

John

@Tintype_18 wrote:

Did some checking and more confused than ever. For whatever reason, my T7 and SX530 HD are sending photos to OneDrive. To email a photo, I have to send it to File Explorer, go to the Recycle Bin where the photos land, then I have to click Restore to send them to File Explorer.

OK, I checked the OneDrive photos and there are no duplicates as XXXX-(2). They are only on the recent downloads of File Explorer. Never had this before.

Can't fugure out why I have photos in two places. This happens with both cameras.

Again, thanks for all your advice!

Did you deliberately configure One Drive as an offline backup or did Windows do it?

There is an option in One Drive to have files offloaded from the computer and then be recalled when you want them:

Screenshot 2021-01-11 111257.jpg

With that box unchecked you will have the files on your hard drive as well as in the cloud.

If you use that approach instead of a green checkmark on your files you will see a blue cloud icon.

Screenshot 2021-01-11 112021.jpg

Click that file icon and it will download to the computer. 

I use the save space option on my MacBook to save space; on my PC files are resident on the computer.

The file recall process should not require emails or sending/recalling files from the trash.

As far as the download from the cameras there is a reason the files are being sent to One Drive; what ever folder you are downloading to is inside the One Drive folder. Just move it out of the One Drive folder if you don't want images to go there.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Did not activate OneCloud so it must have been Windows. Hate the computer or software doing things i don't want. Will backtrack a nd double check what you have listed.

John

It does ask while the setup process is going on, but it is in a chain of a bunch of permissions. I missed it the first time. 

If you don't want the online backup you can uncouple from One Drive. Just be sure you get everything where you want it first. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

I click on OD after clicking on the window at bottom left. Says I have to uninstall the version to download a new version. So I can't even find the screens you posted. Let's let it ride for now and I'll have to go by Pat's barn to email photos. My grandson is a computer kid so he might be able to help. Thanks.

John

if it is a computer problem then why doesnt this happen with my 6D and my 7 mark ii?

no they are jpegs
having enough trouble with them let alone raw
it just takes the photo twice i desperately want to stop it it takes up too much room on the computer and takes forever to delete them all

I always delete them when I see they are safely downloaded. I do not reformat the card. Should be a good practice. Thanks for the tip.

John
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements