cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Photos with Duplicated File Names

Tintype_18
Authority
Authority

I  have been taking a lot of photos lately. I use the plug-in for the USB port to download from the memory card. When I go to review the photos, I find that each photo has a copy designated as XXXX (1). I hate to take the time to delete each one as unneeded. Is there something in the camera or laptop computer that is doing this? TIA.

John
Canon EOS T7; EF-S 18-55mm IS; EF 28-135mm IS; EF 75-300mm; Sigma 150-600mm DG
40 REPLIES 40

@cicopo wrote:

2 copies of the same photo might be one as a jpg & the other a raw file (CR2 extension) 

In that case they would have the same name, not the (1) descriminator. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Those can be differentiated by file extension, not a (1) or (2)

The camera is not capable of creating file names with (1) in them.  Whatever the cause, it is happening on the computer.

If you download hundreds and hundreds of photos to the same folder, this duplicate naming could occur.  If you use the EOS Utility, you can use it to automatically create sub-folders based upon the shooting date.  Or, you could rename the fies to the shooting date during the download.  It will do i "on the fly."

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Both photos are jpg and not a Raw photo. Don't use Raw as I don't edit photos.

Definitely a computer problem. As the saying, "To Err is Human; To Really Screw It Up, You Need a Computer."

Edit- Many thanks for all the replies to my dilemma. I am going to experiment as I formatted the card as John noted he does. I had mentioned that John was the first in months to answer a question. Thanks to others. I have a new Canon EOS Rebel T7 and trying to learn all the features it offers. The SX530 HD was much simpler...like the Kodak Brownie. Anyone remember that one?

I will probably be asking other questions so be forewarned.

Another problem is getting my photos posted in one place whereas I have to search two places to find photos.

Background- Freelance writer and photographer so this woujld be a factor in taking lots of photos and picking the best for publication.

John

" I formatted the card as John noted he does."

That won't fix your problem.  As noted above the camera can't make an "add 1" file.  The computer does that.

" I'm a freelance writer and photographer. I tend to take multiple shots of the same subject."

And, you don't post edit? Smiley Surprised  You need to and you need to get Lightroom.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I formatted the card as John noted he does."

That won't fix your problem.  As noted above the camera can't make an "add 1" file.  The computer does that.

" I'm a freelance writer and photographer. I tend to take multiple shots of the same subject."

And, you don't post edit? Smiley Surprised  You need to and you need to get Lightroom.

Reformatting would avoid the problem since there won't be "old" images on the card to be downloaded a second time.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yeah, OK, I see that. But the OP would need to be d/ling to the same folder each time so a simple changing the folder will fix it. 

He would also see _2 and _3 and so on, if images were left on the SD card. Also, if there is dups the OP can easily delete them if different folders are  used.

EB

I asked another experienced writer/photographer about editing. He said that the publisher would handle editing.

John

"I asked another experienced writer/photographer about editing. He said that the publisher would handle editing."

I worked for a very large greeting card company in Kansas City.  I can also say there is no way I would never let anyone see my photos until I had checked them carefully in Lightroom. 99% of all photos can be made better with small adjustments in post.  Its true the editing staff will do their thing but let them do it on your best.  Old photographer tip, never let them see a bad or less than perfect shot.

EB

I do a bit of "editing" on some as to light and color. Did two that I sent up a couple of days ago. As for the final edit, I let the pubisher/editor do the editing to fit their publication. Still learning my camera as I'm aware that there are features that could shoot some great photos. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

John
Announcements