cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropped my camera

nancyr84
Contributor

Help! My new puppy and my Canon 60D had a bit of a run in and the hotshoe bracket came off the camera. I cannot see how it attaches. I tried holding it on and the flash does fire. I hate to send the camera away to get fixed it’s over 5 years old. I do use the external flash often . I thought about trying to carefully glue it on , is that a crazy idea? 56834659-18B6-4498-A03B-4FE3995B2D11.jpeg

18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

You really need to open the camera and look. It is held on by screws inside the camera. If those screws are rattling around loose they could cause some serious mischief.

iFixit has instructions to open up a 60D if your are so inclined.

I would definitely attempt to open camera up but looking at the different guides I don’t see any that apply. Is there a guide that would help me take top off where hotshoe is located ? 

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

See this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_neI06o3c0

May give you guidance.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

My 60D looks different on top, by the way I finally got my plug in installed , thanks! 

It looks like the screws pulled through the lower part of the hot shoe mount; are they still in place on the camera if you carefully look under the hot shoe?  If so get a replacement hot shoe, there is too much stress for any glue to provide a proper fix.

You will have to do some disassembly but the hot shoe should plug in with no soldering required.

Rodger

EOS 1DX M3, 1DX M2, 1DX, 5DS R, M6 Mark II, 1D M2, EOS 650 (film), many lenses, XF400 video

04D18994-3CF9-4E11-927A-EE4A71BDB000.png

Here is assembly drawing for 1D Mark IV; yours is probably the same. Loks lke you may have stripped the threads. You could perhaps try a slightly larger screw. Canon used a thread lock compound as well.

2018-11-23.png

2018-11-23 (1).png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Can’t see clearly; are threads showing or are there inserts in the body that the screws go into that pulled out.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

There are 4 screws showing

Announcements