cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deleted images on camera appear on computer - Canon r6

Katiewms11
Contributor

I cull images as I go, and when I get to import into my computer, I see all images taken, including the deleted ones. Is there a reason for this? Does one card slot keep all the images as a backup while the other stays culled? I'm using a Canon r6. Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Katiewms11 wrote:

I cull images as I go, and when I get to import into my computer, I see all images taken, including the deleted ones. Is there a reason for this? Does one card slot keep all the images as a backup while the other stays culled? I'm using a Canon r6. Thank you!

Are you using both card slots? If so, the slots can be configured to do various tasks, like store a backup, Raw on one and JPeG on the other, etc., or have one card set as viewable (Play). If you have both cards recording, only images on the one selected as viewable will be deleted when culling and you will have to switch to the other card to delete. If you are using EOSU to download, it will look on both cards.

Start at page 699 of your Advanced Users Guide for the R6 🙂

R6 Card Select-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

FloridaDrafter
Authority
Authority

@Katiewms11 wrote:

Are you using both card slots? If so, the slots can be configured to do various tasks, like store a backup, Raw on one and JPeG on the other, etc., or have one card set as viewable (Play). If you have both cards recording, only images on the one selected as viewable will be deleted when culling and you will have to switch to the other card to delete. If you are using EOSU to download, it will look on both cards.

Start at page 699 of your Advanced Users Guide for the R6 🙂

R6 Card Select-1.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Thank you so much. I looked through the manual but must have overlooked it/not understood at the time. Yes, I am using both cards. I had no idea that you can erase only on one of the cards at a time. So theoretically you could run out of room on one of them before the other.  As long as I use card slot 1, then, how mine is set up right now, I will have a culled card. Apparently my back up is Card 2. Both are RAW.

Do have another question if you don't mind. It says something along the lines of if recording to multiple, the card 1 playback will be for still photos, while card 2 is the one that plays back videos. If I cull the videos I see, does that only cull them on card 2? Then I would have to look at Card 1 for stills and then get out Card 2 to look at culled videos?

pg 700 canon r6 manual.png

Thank you again!!

@Katiewms11 wrote:

Do have another question if you don't mind. It says something along the lines of if recording to multiple, the card 1 playback will be for still photos, while card 2 is the one that plays back videos. If I cull the videos I see, does that only cull them on card 2? Then I would have to look at Card 1 for stills and then get out Card 2 to look at culled videos?

Admittedly, I don't shoot a lot of video on the R6. However, I think the way it works is if you assign video to a specific card, the camera will automatically switch to that card when you go to video mode and the same applies for stills when you switch to stills. Those should be the only files on that specific card. So, if you are in video mode, record a clip, and press the "Play" button, whatever card you assigned to video is where that file will be. If you have it set up that way (separate cards for video and stills), you only need to switch modes to cull. Switch to video to cull them and switch to stills to cull them. Just be sure to assign your cards further down the menu structure.

R6 Card Select-2.jpg

Since what video I shoot is 4K and on the R5, it will not record to slot 2 (SD) and will only record to slot 1 (CF Express). All of our R's are set to record to both cards in Raw. I generally cull in post if needed.

Hopefully, I'm right about this as it's been a while since I've set up a camera to record separately 🙂

Newton

Announcements