cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DSLR 101

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Here is a sample of RAW and how it can help make your photos better. 

_DS37738.jpg

Normal RAW exposure.

1.jpg

Normal exposure jpg.  They look pretty close because you are looking at a computer monitor.  The RAW has been converted to jpg in post.  The original jpg was done by the camera, a 1Ds Mk III in this case.

2.jpg

However, suspose you got something wrong. In this case I under exposed it by 3 stops.  But it could be any condition.  WB, color balance, saturation, and on and on, etc.

3.jpg

Corrected RAW.

4.jpg

Corrected jpg.  But below lets look a little closer.

5.jpg

Especially check the shadows. Can you see the difference?  Need a better look?  OK, here is a 100% crop of that enlargment.

6.jpg

It should be blantly obivious that RAW is the way to go.  All else was equal. Same camera. Same lens. Same time of day. Same, same!

Get Lightroom................Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
210 REPLIES 210

I'm seeing what you meant about absolutely having to edit my pics.  I'm still getting used to DPP and have not yet mastered all it's features, but I'm sure using and see the benefits of this software.  I've made some pics look better, I saved some I would have deleted.  I also understand your statement...more is less here.  Editing is opening a whole new world for me.  But I can also see now why I would need LR or PSE 13.  Many things I'd like to do with my pics I'm limited in DPP.  Many things I cannot do.  I may be getting LR soon, I dunno.  I'm not sure if I'm ready for it yet, or should I get better with DPP before I add LR.

Biggs I must say you have a wealth of knowledge in Photography my friend.  You amaze me at times the info you share on other threads here on this site.  You, Bob, and some of the other very knowledgeable peeps on this site, are invaluable...least ways to me.  I have much to learn and you guys have much to share. 

With fear of promoting the ire of Bob from Boston, you simply can not do pro level edits with DPP.  It is just not possible.

Even PSE 13 will reach a limit but is far superior.  I did run into an old friend in the business that does use DPP and Bridge for most of her work.  She was selling her EF 85mm f1.2L II so I picked it up saving a couple bucks.  Bridge easily flows to PS for the really tough stuff.

Here is a shot from today. Mostly unedited as I speak, so eloquently, the virtues of LR and PS.  It is from a 600mm Tamron lens on my 1D Mk IV. ISO of 800 lens at f9 and 1/500.   I was 30(-+) feet from this noble guy.  He got tired of me and flew the coop!

Enjoy..........

_D4_9754.jpg

Check out that bokeh.  Not bad for a cheap lens.  What do you think?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

With fear of promoting the ire of Bob from Boston, you simply can not do pro level edits with DPP.  It is just not possible.

Even PSE 13 will reach a limit but is far superior.  I did run into an old friend in the business that does use DPP and Bridge for most of her work.  She was selling her EF 85mm f1.2L II so I picked it up saving a couple bucks.  Bridge easily flows to PS for the really tough stuff.

Here is a shot from today. Mostly unedited as I speak, so eloquently, the virtues of LR and PS.  It is from a 600mm Tamron lens on my 1D Mk IV. ISO of 800 lens at f9 and 1/500.   I was 30(-+) feet from this noble guy.  He got tired of me and flew the coop!

Enjoy..........

_D4_9754.jpg

Check out that bokeh.  Not bad for a cheap lens.  What do you think?

Yep, it's a good shot, but not as good as that last pic you posted.  Not as tack sharp as that other one of the red bird.  You had a better lens before, your Canon I think.  think it was a 400mm.   But then again all your pics are nice.  The bokeh is nice also. 
I'm getting along fine on my editing, but I'm yet to remove any distorions.  Heck, I can't even reconise most distortions in my pics yet.  I do see some softness round the edges in some pics.  Always see softness at the furthest range (250-300mm)with my 75-300mm.  I see sun flare, even ....i think it is, barrel distorion in a few with the 75-300mm.  Sometimes lost of some contrast.   With the 24-105L sometimes lost of a little color saturation.  Most times I think that happens when my lens is pointed toward sunlight, or just bright light, not sure.   But don't see any of the other distorions, and would'nt know how to fix my pic if I did, not with DPP.   Mostly I adjust sharpness, contrast, brightness, color saturation, hue/tint.   But what do I do to remove the distorions???    I don't see anything in DPP for that, does it have anything???   I'm just getting into DPP and have'nt outgrown it yet.  I don't think Bob has anything against me using LR or PSE 13 if I needed them.  I think he feels that right now DPP is good to learn and start out with, cause it's free.  He has a point there.  I think when the times comes that I really need either he'll be all for me using them. 
I don't even think about doing Pro work anymore.  Even since that conversation with Bob about doing weddings indoors with a 4L lens.  He said a Mark lll FF body would be needed, if using a 4L lens.  That would mean a major investment in f/2.8L lens or a Mark lll, or both.    As you know I'm basing my lens collection on 4L's lens and i suppose i would have to invest in faster lens for pro work.  So for now, I'm just learning and having fun taking my pics.  F/4L's are fine for the type of Photography I'm doing now, mostly outside stuff.   No stress or pressure on myself, just enjoying photography.   I'll deal with Pro issues when, if ever ,it comes into play.
what are you going to do with another Canon 85mm lens???   You probably got several 85mm lens already.   That  Canon EF 85mm f1.2L ll is very expensive for a 85mm, even a Canon L.  I was looking at the Canon 100mm L and it's less than 1/2 the price of that Canon 85mm.  What is it with that lens that justifies the cost???

Hmmmm.........well maybe you will like this one better?

_D4_9772.jpg

There are so many incorrect thoughts about your last post, I hardly know where to start.  At this point in my beginners progress I usually let them start drawing a lot of conclusions of their own.  I was/am going to let you do so, too.  You will learn as you go, what works for you and what doesn't.

If you remain an amertuer or even advanced amertuer, DPP may be fine.  I doubt it but it could be.  Bob from Boston doesn't care one way or the other whether you use DPP or not.  He is simply trying to show how it can be used and put to good use.

You can't do some of the things in post editing you are seeing because DPP can not.  That is the problem, with DPP. It is so limiting and lacking in its ability. Plus, I prefer and as most pros think, ACR9 does a better job with RAW.

Even PSE 13 and LR6 will reach the limit of what they can do.  The ultimate is Photoshop but it too will reach a point where it can not fix issues either.

Remember f2.8 is just one stop faster than f4.

EB

"... what are you going to do with another Canon 85mm lens???   You probably got several 85mm lens already.   That  Canon EF 85mm f1.2L ll is very expensive for a 85mm, even a Canon L.  I was looking at the Canon 100mm L and it's less than 1/2 the price of that Canon 85mm.  What is it with that lens that justifies the cost???"

I do this...............

_DS38053-Edit.jpg

I sold the Sigma 85mm f1.4 right after I got the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM.  You don't really want me to explain all the differences between the 100mm f2 and the 85mm f1.2?  Do you?   Just think of it this way, there are no similarities except they both fit on a Canon camera!

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Hmmmm.........well maybe you will like this one better?

_D4_9772.jpg

There are so many incorrect thoughts about your last post, I hardly know where to start.  At this point in my beginners progress I usually let them start drawing a lot of conclusions of their own.  I was/am going to let you do so, too.  You will learn as you go, what works for you and what doesn't.

If you remain an amertuer or even advanced amertuer, DPP may be fine.  I doubt it but it could be.  Bob from Boston doesn't care one way or the other whether you use DPP or not.  He is simply trying to show how it can be used and put to good use.

You can't do some of the things in post editing you are seeing because DPP can not.  That is the problem, with DPP. It is so limiting and lacking in its ability. Plus, I prefer and as most pros think, ACR9 does a better job with RAW.

Even PSE 13 and LR6 will reach the limit of what they can do.  The ultimate is Photoshop but it too will reach a point where it can not fix issues either.

Remember f2.8 is just one stop faster than f4.

Your pic is looks good also.  Maybe it's the color (kinda drab to me), but I really like that one of the horse eye, and those birds flying over water better.   I liked how you got the birds from their reflection in the water.  Not saying these are not good, they are, I just like those other ones better.  I may be wrong, but I think the others are even sharper.  Maybe it's the color here, or the lens, I dunno.

Well on DPP, from what I can see now, I would upgrade in the near future whether I go pro or not.  I can see how limited I am with DPP and I know I will want better soon.   I hope we don't even talk of things with being a pro in mind, I just want to get good at photography, and I do want good gear ......no matter what.   I soon get fustrated with inferior gear, so I won't waste my money even going There.  In fact, I've bitten the bullet  and ordered the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L  Looking at the Canon EF 100mm L next in my collection unless you say it's not a good choice and another choice would be better.  I'm looking at these lens along with my 24-105L being the foundation that I will work from.   Later on I'm considering a few of the 3rd party Lenses you've been sanging the praises of...for longer range shots.  But for now I'm looking at these 3 Canon lenses to be my main gear for most of my pics.

I don't understand what you mean in my incorrect thoughts you speak of.  But what I said is how I see things for now.  I'm not saying I'm correct, only it's how I see things.   If there's things I said incorrectly or unclear,  or need to do different, I'm more than willing to change or correct something when I'm wrong or on the wrong track.  I'm not a person who will hold on to a thought or position out of stubborness.   Long as I see a logical reason for change I will do so no problem.  Otherwise I will keep quiet and learn my way as you say I should.  But I will follow your suggestion within reason, you're the teacher, I'm the student.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"... what are you going to do with another Canon 85mm lens???   You probably got several 85mm lens already.   That  Canon EF 85mm f1.2L ll is very expensive for a 85mm, even a Canon L.  I was looking at the Canon 100mm L and it's less than 1/2 the price of that Canon 85mm.  What is it with that lens that justifies the cost???"

I do this...............

_DS38053-Edit.jpg

I sold the Sigma 85mm f1.4 right after I got the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM.  You don't really want me to explain all the differences between the 100mm f2 and the 85mm f1.2?  Do you?   Just think of it this way, there are no similarities except they both fit on a Canon camera!

This is really nice Obiwan, I like it. 

I'm only telling you my thoughts on lens, I'm not saying one is better than anyother, I'm not knowledgable enough to do that yet.  In my thinking, since the 2 lens are so close in range, I thought either would be acceptable for closeup face shots like this one  of yours here.  I know there's a aperture difference, but both should be good in low light.   If I'm wrong say so.  Though sometimes what I say may sound like a statement, it's really just another way I ask a question.  I'm merely sharing what I'm thinking, not saying I think I'm right, or that I have made a final descision on a matter.

"Long as I see a logical reason for change I will do so no problem."

And herein lies the conclusion.  When does the pupil become as the teacher?  That is the question.  By now you should know what you want and what direction you want to go.  You decided "pro" is not for you.  Fine.  It is not for everybody and in reality more fail at it than make a living.

If you want and think the EF 100mm f2 is going to enhance your hobby, go for it.  Personally I would not buy it.  Neither is right or wrong! Plus buying it is not a life sentence. You can sell it if you find it isn't for you.  I do this a lot now that I am playing around instead of trying to make money.

But you do need to notice what the pros use.  Whether you are one or not.  They know what works and what doesn't.

The Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens is a very fine lens.  Top drawer!  Anybody would like using it.  But it is not for me mainly because the Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens is there.  And it is way more useful in my thoughts.  But that is me and you need to do what you believe it right.  

You need to move on further from the sharpness thingy being the sole criteria for judging a photo.  Not all photos are sharp by design.  And I still think you need a better monitor as I believe you can not see what you need to.  Maybe spend the money on that before a new lens?

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I do this...............

_DS38053-Edit.jpg

Well guess you've said it all here.  But from my comment, you should guess I thought they could be compatible....either one for same shot.   I want something for a pic like yours here of the little one.   I suppose you would recommend the 85mm.   Ok, I'll go with the 85mm.

BTW...nice pic, I like this one.

Remember a 85mm on a crop body is going to appear like a 135mm.  Which is begining to be a little long for portraits most of the time. IMHO, of course.

EB
Announcements